Accumulation Buffer

Started by
3 comments, last by bigyellowtoe 22 years, 6 months ago
I tried to implement motion blur on my card (gfII / mx) using the accumulation buffer like this: ///////////////// drawScene(); glAccum(GL_LOAD,0.5f); for (int i=1;i<=10;i++) { drawFrame(i); glAccum(GL_ACCUM, 0.5f); } glAccum(GL_RETURN,1.0f); ///////////////// while this approach does work, i can walk to the corner grocery store and back between frames. (well not really, it''s more like 1fps. the scene is just a single polygon) i have other demos that use the accum buffer (no source) and they run MUCH faster than this. does anyone have an idea why it''s so slow or what i may be doing wrong? btw, i''m not certain that there''s anything i need to do to use the accum buffer first (like when i create the window do i need to specify that i want the accum buffer? perhaps it''s doing this in software mode instead? i really dunno) thanks, ~byt
*.chm
Advertisement
Only Professional OpenGL accel graphics cards acually accel the acum buffer, the GF2 isn''t one of them.
Celeron ][ 566 @ 850256MB PC-100 CAS2 RAMDFI PA-61 Mainboard (250MB memory bandwidth sucks, it should be 500MB)ATI Radeon 32MB DDR LEWindows 98SE
aye, but he has run other accum buffer demos that have run much faster than the one he is trying to make, so i don''t think its a card problem ?
quote:Original post by Cass
i have other demos that use the accum buffer (no source) and they run MUCH faster than this.

Are you *sure* they use an accumulation buffer ? I seriously doubt it.

Use some tricks! That''s the way to go! Just look at the last NeHe''s tutorial with radial blur...
The accumulation buffer *IS* slow! The demos you have seen that use the accumulation buffer may be ''faster,'' but look at the size of the entire rendering window. ''Blitting'' a 300x300 window to the accumulation buffer a few times isn''t going to KILL your speed, but a 640x480 window ''blitted'' to the accumulation buffer a few times is pure suicide!

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
ShiningKnight Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement