Scientists are testing that we are in the Matrix...

Started by
93 comments, last by slicer4ever 11 years, 3 months ago
Is the universe simulated? According to the article, scientists have a way to test if our universe is actually a computer simulation made by an ancient civilization. Religious, philosophical, ethical, and moral issues are abound. However, the bigger point, for me, is this. If this universe is actually a simulation, should I bother caring anymore? Should I consider diseases a bug in this program and we (the code) are actually fixing the program? Should Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and the Matrix be my Old Testament and New Testament, respectively? Is my life nothing but a module in a Lisp program decrementing the values in my parameters until they artificially reach nil?

In short, I think it's pretty cool. But in the large scope of things, I doubt anyone would care even this theory was "proven". But it's fun to think and debate about.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Um... proving something by proving it can be done?
It doesn't look too solid proof to me.
Should you bother any more?
Do you feel pain? Do you feel faecal urgency? Do you feel hunger? I guess so. So you should bother.
As long as the universe's server kernel doesn't panics, its all good.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

As someone who works at tri-Ace, trust me when I say that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is just a game. Sad but true.
Besides I really can’t believe it is just a simulation. Too consistent and detailed. I mean let them do their tests but the results are going to be pretty non-shocking.

However if it is proved that we are inside a simulation, it certainly would be a blow to religions. The article mentions the possibility of communicating to those who created us, which, if done, would be irrefutable proof. For the religious among you, what would you do should it be proved irrefutably that we are indeed inside a simulation? Would you still hold your religious beliefs? Would you alter your concept of what God(s) is/are? What would you do?

For others, would you begin a search to find out how to “bend the matrix” so to speak? How would your “lives” change?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

As someone who works at tri-Ace, trust me when I say that Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is just a game. Sad but true.

Please leave my internets :|

Can't these guys work on something more important? Like curing cancer? Such a waste of brilliant minds.

[quote name='L. Spiro' timestamp='1355463825' post='5010485']

Please leave my internets :|
[/quote]
Well the head of the project did hover and glow a few times each week.
Maybe there is something more to it? Maybe he was from beyond?

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

It's interesting to think about, but the reality is that we are who we are, living the lives we are living, and nothing will change that. Pain will still hurt, and pleasure will still be enticing. In all my days of researching the nature of brains, consciousness, and neural networks, I've concluded that all intelligence revolves around pain and pleasure, as they are the only type of information that signals whether or not a particular behavior is beneficial or destructive to one's self, offspring, and thus species as a whole.

Human consciousness is the highest degree of universe-complexity in the system that has been achieved thus far - a system (the universe) that has produced fractal patterns which reflect its own very existence (eg: our ability to conceptualize the very universe we are made of)...

But like I said, pain will still hurt, and that's all that matters to me.
I don't think we can physically test such things, from my understanding, the core concept of this idea is that if we are in a simulation, then if we are able to simulate an accurate universe, that means we are a simulation ourselves. I can't be the only one seeing the problem with this?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

I don't think we can physically test such things, from my understanding, the core concept of this idea is that if we are in a simulation, then if we are able to simulate an accurate universe, that means we are a simulation ourselves. I can't be the only one seeing the problem with this?

Our universe is recursive and the expansion we are noticing in our universe is actually extra server space being bought?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement