Very early alpha of a retro 2D game -- keen for community critique

Started by
14 comments, last by juur 11 years, 3 months ago
Hello,

First of all apologies if this is the wrong place, or wrong content, to post here; this forum seemed the most appropriate. I've been hacking away at a 2D retro game in my spare time (of which there is not a great deal with a family and a job!) and I'd like to see if anyone would provide any constructive feedback.

I am most definitely not an artist (some would question if I'm even a coder) so I accept looks may not kill.

The game is Java based and is on a site as per below, I hopefully won't be bankrupted by bandwidth charges! The VM is not the fastest in the world so on the first play, when it downloads the LWGJL stuff, it might take a while.

Applet: http://fortune3.to/game/
Download: http://fortune3.to/game/survive.zip

NB: It requires Java to be installed, and the Applet will have permission popups as it's not signed properly.

Anyway, any feedback gratefully received!

Regards,
Ian
Advertisement

http://fortune3.to/game/ (NB: It requires Java to be installed)

People don't like java applets nowadays.

[quote name='juur' timestamp='1355487196' post='5010574']
http://fortune3.to/game/ (NB: It requires Java to be installed)

People don't like java applets nowadays.
[/quote]
I know, but it's the least effort way of putting something up there. It also runs as a normal jar.
My browser complained about the applet getting access to all of my computer, or something of that sort. I thought these things were supposed to be run in a sandbox...

My browser complained about the applet getting access to all of my computer, or something of that sort. I thought these things were supposed to be run in a sandbox...

I added a link to download standalone, as applets are full of all these issues...
You just throw player into some strange world.
I tryed to fight dogs. Then i saw some stuff on the ground.
Was chased by sceletons, run through upper door, see coast, pick stick, pick stick, run back - different place.
Same door - different place. And i'm dead. I love it, no jokes.
I thought it was fun. Is the default resolution 1080p? Or does the game dynamically size the window to match monitor resolution? I also couldn't hear anything.

I liked the gameplay. Is there a way to pick up that armor or fight the skeletons, and dogs?

I thought it was fun. Is the default resolution 1080p? Or does the game dynamically size the window to match monitor resolution? I also couldn't hear anything.

I liked the gameplay. Is there a way to pick up that armor or fight the skeletons, and dogs?

I disabled the music due to copyright issues on the MOD I was using.
"." picks things up, then you use the inventory (i) or 1-0 to equip a weapon. I'm not sure if auto-pickup is better/worse, but there is a weight limit to the inventory.
The dogs (who are cats!) are (a test of) pets so they help you / annoy you.
It autoscales based on desktop resolution, window resizing kinda works ish, a bit.
Wow. As I'm working on something similar, I appreciate all the technical details in this game (LOS with lighting!). I think it it has lots of potential. It runs very smooth, path finding is nice, the graphics are basic but work and I even found that there is some strategy using lava to deal with the undead.

But as Morikubo implies: the first thing you need to work on is the pacing of the game. The first minute seems to feature everything there is in the game:
- bad guys
- pets
- treasure
- gear
- deadly lava
- doors
and probably some stuff I didn't figure out yet :)

What annoyed me about this version was that I did not have time to figure out the controls before the first group of bad guys arrive, making it hard to actually explore the game. Oh, and please look at the control scheme. The use of the mouse to pick up gear clashes with the rest of the keyboard interface. Can't you just pick stuff up when you touch it, like you do with coins and health?

But I applaud your effort and I love seeing a game like this in Java!
Thank you for the feedback Verik :-)
The first map is very much a "everything in one place for testing" and not a proper level.
Auto pickup I think is probably one I'll revert back to. Regards the mouse I coded it in, then out, then in again. I agree pickup is NOT a winning use case for the mouse.
The main bit I'm playing with is crafting, you can see this on "p". On the random map you can hit grass to farm it, pick it up, then activate from inventory to craft. Item creation is broken currently as I'm torn between a Minecraft like placement craft table or just a list of items, which is better for more complex patterns.

The game also has stats (press c) with xp and levels, damage types etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement