Sign in to follow this  
Revs

How hard is it to make a game if… ?

Revs    149
[quote name='Chad Smith' timestamp='1355541405' post='5010829']
[quote name='Revs' timestamp='1355527670' post='5010775']
I am aware that the design is not the primary function of a game. Actually I was intending to use something like the Blender vehicle3 simulation, here's a video:
[url="https://www.youtube....h?v=5agTcTn_aoI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=5agTcTn_aoI[/url]
This video isn't by me but basically you get to download the exact same thing (except that the Audi hasn't got any textures on it). The car however feels to light to my liking, while it's in the air it should fall down quicker. I mean, a car is quite heavy after all. Also, I would increase the attack on the steering; it's too brutal. I guess that's the kind of things where some coding would be necessary.
But it's not like I have to configure the whole thing.
By the way, I never *really* learnt PHP, I only "learnt" it because I used scripts — already-made scripts. With the time I learnt how to modify them. But if you'd ask me to type a whole thing myself, I most likely wouldn't know. But I can still create you a homepage with CMS including tons of features in less than a day. I was kind of hoping it would be like that.
I've also seen some tutorials on Blender on how to make a static car drivable (I mean, making it like the car in the video — with suspension, turning wheels, etc. etc.), however I never tried it personally. The video is very short (10 minutes I'd say) so again, I thought it wouldn't be that hard if you follow exact instructions.
[/quote]
I just wanted to say that I was not trying to say you can not do it. I am sorry if I came across that way. I just wanted to let you know that games still take a long time to create even if you used prior art.
The Blender 3D Game Engine sounds great for you if you can learn it. I have seen some basic games made for it. You should try it out! I wish you the best of luck with it!
[/quote]

Don't worry!
I'm just worried that Blender will not be enough for my projects. I mean, can it handle a really big map with lots of stuff going on? I doubt it somehow…

[quote name='jdturner11' timestamp='1355545975' post='5010843']
I think starting in Unity is a bad idea, or any game engine.
It seems like you want results, but that's not how it works. You HAVE to learn to program and learning from an engine isn't a good idea. You will not gain any worthwhile skills copying code and gameplay will suffer directly from this. What is stopping you from opening a book? Learning the actual fundamentals? Learning to 3D model?
This is not YOUR game if you continue, it will be a collection of other's ideas and hard work you hashed together. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but this is gamedev.net and your current path will not make you a game developer.
[/quote]

What's stopping me? Well, time? I never said I want to be a game developer by the way. I don't care if it's not entirely [b]my[/b] game or not, that's absolutely not the point. You completely miss the point of a game at all, which is playing it. Having the fun to play it. That's what I want. A game like I always wanted it. None of the ones out there are what I've been looking for, so why not make your own? There's a lot of 3D models for sale out there for example, so what's wrong with using these? I'm sure the people who made them will be happy to get the money they deserved for actually making these, and you'll be happy to have a perfectly designed bridge for your highway, one that you could spend 5 years on making. Both parties have something out of it, so I see no problem here. Sure there are things in life where the goal isn't the real goal, but the voyage, the trip, the path to the goal is the goal itself (such as life, I mean are you really looking forward to dying at 87 years? Of course not, the goal of your life is every single moment you spend [b]until[/b] you die one day).
But in some cases it's the opposite. What I'm looking forward to here is the result, the finished product that I can play and have fun with. Not learning how to program (which surely is something useful as well). Learning how to program is just something that is needed in order to play the finished game one day. Do you program to make a game or do you make a game to program? Probably both in your case [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/wink.png[/img]

[quote name='J. Evola's Apprentice' timestamp='1355562014' post='5010879']
Revs: no offence taken. Game development needs *real* devotion, especially if you want to do it alone. But your attitude is just opposite.
[/quote]

I think you said that already [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img]

Just to make this clear. I know a *real* game that you would sell and that will bring you millions and that will be a worldwide hit which nobody will ever forget does need of what you guys said. Sure it needs devotion, and skills, and and and… I'm aware that it's an art (like someone said) and that you guys think I look at it the wrong way. But I already have other things to which I dedicate my devotion, where I do everything myself from scratch. So there's no time left for me to spend some more devotion on another thing ;)

By the way, yesterday night I downloaded something called GameSalad. It's a great little program for creating 2D games. I started playing around with it and had already created a main menu with some quick-made Photoshop artwork at the back, some background music and a "Start playing" button [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png[/img] You just take the functions and drag them into the windows or apply them to links, it's really fun. They also have some templates for space invader-like games or such. This looks really fun as well so I'll try to make something with it (I have an idea already [img]http://public.gamedev.net//public/style_emoticons/default/happy.png[/img]) even if it isn't really what I wanted.

teccubus    307
[quote name='Revs' timestamp='1355578436' post='5010937']
But I already have other things to which I dedicate my devotion, where I do everything myself from scratch. So there's no time left for me to spend some more devotion on another thing ;)
[/quote]And that's why you should forget about making games.

Cornstalks    7030
I know a *real* game that you would sell and that will bring you millions and that will be a worldwide hit which nobody will ever forget does need of what you guys said.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone here was talking about that kind of game. I think we've all been talking about small, indie style games that are even smaller/simpler than anything the [url="http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html"]IGF sees[/url] (and these are all a [i]ton[/i] smaller than any big game "that will brink you millions and that will be a worldwide hit"). Making a playable game takes a decent amount of work, even if it's just a little game. We're trying to help you get a realistic picture.

Daaark    3553
Revs, Blender can handle big maps with lots of stuff going on. It can handle things well beyond your current ability to create them.

Blender has an embedded game engine that is easy to use if you are willing to learn to program in Python 3, which is one of the easiest programming languages to learn, and is well suited for beginners. http://python.org/

Making a game, like making a lot of other things, is always hard work, regardless of your level of experience, or the intended level of polish.

But you can start out simple and work up from there. Make a simple terrain, and a car made out of a cube with 4 cylinders, and then make a small interactive program with them in Blender. Use the arrow keys to move your car around and keep refining it.

jdturner11    186
Sorry, but I don't believe you can make the game you want reusing assets and copying code. How are you even going to make that code integratable without working knowledge with the language? You can do anything you put your mind to, but you're not putting your mind to this at all.

Honestly, I'm training for amateur boxing, immersed within music and art, and a multitude of other hobbies I am devoted to. With that I still find time to dedicate to programming. I'm not special, ANYONE can devote time and hardwork to whatever they want. There is no rule in this life that you must only be good at a certain set of things while everything else only gets half your attention.

You talk about living every moment to it's fullest, but you want to cheat around game design because you have other interests? The time you spend looking up cheats could be utilized building a proper skill set - yes it'll take more time, but what's the hurry? You seem like a great guy OP, but you've contradicted yourself here.

Let me edit this by outlining this right upfront -

I want you to SUCCEED. I want to see YOU get what you want, this is just the path I feel is the most conducive TO that goal. I really don't meant to offend. Edited by jdturner11

Bacterius    13165
Just to make this clear. I know a *real* game that you would sell and that will bring you millions and that will be a worldwide hit which nobody will ever forget does need of what you guys said. Sure it needs devotion, and skills, and and and… I'm aware that it's an art (like someone said) and that you guys think I look at it the wrong way. But I already have other things to which I dedicate my devotion, where I do everything myself from scratch. So there's no time left for me to spend some more devotion on another thing ;)
[/quote]
Suppose you were instead good at making games, and then you suddenly want to pick up architectural design to create your dream home. Would you approach it with the same mindset? I'll just glue together some house parts I saw online and call it a day? I don't think so. Designing even the smallest game takes a lot of design and patience, and if you're not willing to at least learn the basics of programming and game design (programming can be avoided in extreme cases, though it's generally recommended), it's most likely going to end up an exercise in frustration.

Brutal reality check but I guess it needs to be said: game development requires you to learn new skills. Sorry.

This isn't to put you down, but you seem to asking for a free lunch here - why do you expect to be able to cobble together a game with zero relevant skills? Would you expect someone who's never done any 3D design work to spontaneously produce a functional building design? That's what we mean. You seem to have a double standard when it comes to creating video games and somehow think it should be easy because your game will be simple. That's just not the case. Simple houses aren't easy to design, the same goes for games. Edited by Bacterius