So, windows 8?

Started by
98 comments, last by SlamDrag 11 years ago

Looks ok on Phone/Tablet. From mobile indie developer perspective i see it as opportunity.

Ding, we have a winner. Because what's good for the tablet is fantabulous for the desktop, amirite?
Advertisement

Looks ok on Phone/Tablet. From mobile indie developer perspective i see it as opportunity.

Ding, we have a winner. Because what's good for the tablet is fantabulous for the desktop, amirite?

This is an affirming a disjunct fallacy.

I was perusing the reddit machine and noticed MS engineers who worked on Windows 8 are doing an AMA at 12:30 EST. Might be worth a drop in for those of us who may wonder why things are a certain way.

edit: Correction, it's more surface pro than windows 8 in general stuff.

I didn't use Winsows 8 on desktop :), still on XP :). I saw it on friends computer. Looks like it will be like Vista, junked very soon. I personally don't like change so i don't like Win 8 too.

But on phone/tablet it is useable. But thats another story.

Executive producer at http://simosgames.com

Currently working on Tablet & mobile strategy game Warlords RTS: Clash of Thrones. http://facebook.com/WarlordsRTS

My concern about Windows 8 has little to do with windows 8 itself, its almost all about the precedent MS is setting for the future. I am very very wary of a future computing environment where small time developers cannot simply create software and release it, without having to contend with some gatekeeper or another.

Now, windows 8 does not break that paradigm yet, but I don't think its hard to imagine that MS sees this as a halfway point between the old paradigm and a new one whereby MS controls what is and is not installed on your system.

And, to answer the obvious criticism, I am wary of Windows 8, not completely against it. It's possible that the aforementioned fear is unjustified, and only time will tell for sure, but I think its safe to say that W8 is a step in the wrong direction if that's my primary concern.

I'm working on a game! It's called "Spellbook Tactics". I'd love it if you checked it out, offered some feedback, etc. I am very excited about my progress thus far and confident about future progress as well!

http://infinityelephant.wordpress.com

My concern about Windows 8 has little to do with windows 8 itself, its almost all about the precedent MS is setting for the future. I am very very wary of a future computing environment where small time developers cannot simply create software and release it, without having to contend with some gatekeeper or another.

Now, windows 8 does not break that paradigm yet, but I don't think its hard to imagine that MS sees this as a halfway point between the old paradigm and a new one whereby MS controls what is and is not installed on your system.

And, to answer the obvious criticism, I am wary of Windows 8, not completely against it. It's possible that the aforementioned fear is unjustified, and only time will tell for sure, but I think its safe to say that W8 is a step in the wrong direction if that's my primary concern.

I don't think that will ever happen. Microsoft has a strong history of backwards compatibility and makes a lot of money from corporate customers who have to be able to run their own software. The idea that there would not be a version available which allowed normal x86 software to run is silly. People simply wouldn't upgrade.

I was perusing the reddit machine and noticed MS engineers who worked on Windows 8 are doing an AMA at 12:30 EST. Might be worth a drop in for those of us who may wonder why things are a certain way.

What's an AMA? And is there a link?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

"Ask me Anything" and here you go.

It's over now, but you can look at the other answers. Most of them, unfortunately, are related to the surface pro hardware. :/

AMA = "Ask me anything", and I guess this might be the right link. Ninja'd (by about 5 minutes dry.png)

"Why would I want to play Blu-Rays/DVDs on my PS3/360? It's a game console not a video player!"

Why would I should I be forced to pay extra money for a BluRay player in my PS3 ($125 vs a $15-$20 DVD drive), when BluRays weren't a common disc format (at the time of the PS3's release), just so Sony can win an unrelated format war that doesn't benefit me playing games? (the $125 estimated Bluray cost is from when the console was released - it's cheaper now)

The BluRay addition to the PS3 was not free. It increased the price of an already expensive console.
This is entirely different than the Windows 8 complaints though, however - unless someone is already arguing that the work towards adding the Metro UI could've benefited the desktop UI instead.

I've been using win8 since it was released, and while I wasn't sure about it when I started, I am happy with it for the most part. I'm coming from Vista though so the improvements in stability, speed, etc, all seem great. I'm getting used to the new right side menu and not having START and it works pretty well, I think. Main thing I don't like about MetroApps is that you can't use OpenGL with them. :(

scottrick49

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement