Character Customization, the best engine?

Started by
2 comments, last by cronocr 11 years, 4 months ago
I love the idea of making a high level of character customization, things like body morphing and tons of model and color adjustments for the player character. Can this be accomplished with almost any engine, are there some which do it better and more effciently? Or is this type of thing dependent upon how the model is made before being imported. One big thing I want is multiple animation sets, but with Unity at least that seems straightforward wwith the right line of code.

I also have plans for the editor to be used for more than just the players, much like how you can call the console editor for your character in skyrim, or if any of you are familiar with Nrass scripts for The Sims 3 with Nras you can call a character editor for any character in the world. I want something similar to this so the player can customize pparty members upon first meet.
Advertisement
Pretty much any engine that supports per-vertex animation and shaders should be able to do this (which is a fair few them).

However, Unity makes this easier than most other 3D engines (as it was developed for less technical / beginner users) so if your interest is mostly on the art side of things or if you are just starting out, I certainly recommend Unity as a way to test out your game art and ideas more easily.

As for preparing the model, only if your morphing idea involves skeletal animation for realistic movement rather than being stretched or squashed, then the models will need to have bones inserted inside them so that the engine knows which vertex is assigned to which bone so it can be moved accordingly.
Most modelling tools can do this such as Blender, Maya, Max.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
Know of any guides? I've searched character customization but most info is examples and simple mods like different hairstyles.
Here is the character customization tutorial:

http://u3d.as/content/unity-technologies/character-customization/1qS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement