How long should i study a programming language before moving on to libraries?

Started by
9 comments, last by Muzzy A 11 years, 4 months ago
Apart from the standard library of course. Also, how do i motivate myself to program every day?
Advertisement
Simple. You don't "study" libraries. Instead, you do projects. If you actually need the functionality of a particular library, you figure out how to use it to get that functionality.

Also, how do i motivate myself to program every day?

Work on something that intrests you would be my suggestion, it has worked well for me at least.

Apart from the standard library of course. Also, how do i motivate myself to program every day?

If you don't actually enjoy programming, that will be difficult :)

Software Engineer | Credited Titles: League of Legends, Hearthstone

How long should i study a programming language before moving on to libraries?
[/QUOTE]
I can't find the reference, but the ideal time is 4 days and 12 hours (based upon a sleeping pattern of 7 1/2 hours per day) It's proven that studying the language for a shorter period will make the learning of the libraries more difficult and studying the language for any longer will put the student into a state of obsessive grammatical correctness which has historically been very difficult for students to break out of.

Also, how do i motivate myself to program every day?
[/QUOTE]

You don't have to motivate yourself, when you wake up and walk bleary eyed to the computer, turn it on and make a coffee while it boots (I'm from the pre ssd era ;) then you know you are in the right head-space.

But personally if I find that I'm still on facebook or these forums at 10 or 11 am then I have a cold shower and yell at myself ...

'CODING IS MY LIFE, I AM WORTHLESS WITHOUT IT. I WILL PROGRAM OR I WILL BECOME NOTHING'

That usually get's me motivated to chain myself to my keyboard for the rest of the day.

Edit : It also helps if you have a girlfriend who abuses you for not making enough money and is threatening to leave you if you haven't finished that game your working on by next christmas.

Write tests. Just test something out. I am fairly new to programming but when I started I couldn't think of anything to write because I was limiting myself to games only. It was hard for me to write a game with little skills so I didn't program much. I still have little skill but I can think of tests to write almost anytime. When I started being willing to program something just for the sake of testing it, my ideas for games increased and my ideas for tests increased. Now I am never at a lack of ideas to program.

Here are some tests I wrote recently.

• loop per second counter
  • 2d matrix as collision
  • tested ctime for 8 hours yesterday.
When I learn a new language I usually find a decent book to go through, where I go through each of the language features, e.g. syntax, modules, classes, functions, data types, inputting/outputting text etc, while trying out some small examples from each part (just so I don't immediately forget) and spending only enough time to get an idea of how each work (nothing in depth).

Then once I've got all that down I'll flip through the standard libraries and write some examples on any that interest me, while just making mental notes of the rest of the libraries so I know whats available if I ever need them.

Then after that like others have said, working on various projects that interest me, or for whatever reason I picked that language.

When you can see code in alphabet spaghetti O's and when you talk to someone about programming either their eyes gloss over and/or they have no clue what your talking about.

Motivation. I find motivation from competing projects, watching movies that have hacking/programming or other highly technical characters in them, reading these forums and helping others, teaching is a big one ( also helps you learn ), working with a partner and/or studying with some one else can help tons.

If this post or signature was helpful and/or constructive please give rep.

// C++ Video tutorials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo60USYV9Ik

// Easy to learn 2D Game Library c++

SFML2.2 Download http://www.sfml-dev.org/download.php

SFML2.2 Tutorials http://www.sfml-dev.org/tutorials/2.2/

// Excellent 2d physics library Box2D

http://box2d.org/about/

// SFML 2 book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1849696845/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1849696845&linkCode=as2&tag=gamer2creator-20

[quote name='game of thought' timestamp='1355611428' post='5011063']

If you don't actually enjoy programming, that will be difficult :)
[/quote]
I enjoy programming a lot, i think motivation is the wrong word for what i meant looking back, its more tgat i have a busy life and i need a way for me to get up and program after a long day

Also about 4 1/2 days is this assuming constant programming save sleep

But personally if I find that I'm still on facebook or these forums at 10 or 11 am then I have a cold shower and yell at myself ...

'CODING IS MY LIFE, I AM WORTHLESS WITHOUT IT. I WILL PROGRAM OR I WILL BECOME NOTHING'

That usually get's me motivated to chain myself to my keyboard for the rest of the day.

Edit : It also helps if you have a girlfriend who abuses you for not making enough money and is threatening to leave you if you haven't finished that game your working on by next christmas.
hahahahahaha! You have my upvote sir.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement