• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nesseggman

Misc questions

4 posts in this topic

Hey friends. I was thinking about some stuff as I was going to sleep last night and I was curious how to implement them into a project. So far I have only made some really basic games using C++ and Allegro (like, tic tac toe or whatever). I also want to note that when I press enter in this text box, it does not make a new line. I have no idea why. So this is going to be one giant paragraph, sorry. Anyway Q1: Is using a giant list of if/else if statements or a giant switch ever a bad idea? Like, is there another way to go about checking for many conditions? For example, I was imagining creating a pet game in which you play through days which are like turns. You can do things during the turn in any order, but at the beginning of the day, you will be updated on the pet's status if there is a trouble or curiosity. There may be many troubles like... sick, injured, run away, stressed out, tired, grown up, angry, acting strangely, the pet's birthday, etc etc etc. Is there a better way to check for these other than a giant else if list or something similar? Also, is it very draining on resources to use a giant case list like this, or is it really no big deal and I'm overthinking it? Ok, now for Q2: How would you implement something to tell if the user is "petting" on the pet, for example, you could have pets of many sizes and the "petting" is clicking and holding a click, then moving back and forth at least two times across the pet's head area. The pet could also be moving around so its location is very dynamic. I figured use some kind of collision detection with a cursor to tell if you are clicking in the head area but I don't know really how you would go about recognizing that you are moving left and right without letting up (and not accepting up and down movements, circle movements, etc.). This seems kind of advanced for me. Just a really basic description is fine, no codes or anything needed. It is a curiosity. And lastly, Q3: I am going to be downloading Unity soon as I just got a new computer and would like to try it out. I was wondering, how easy is it to create a project for one platform in mind (for example, windows exe) and then use the same project to make another platform version (like iOS)? Is it as simple as a Save As... or is there a lot more involved? I'm sure this answer is available easily somewhere but I don't really know what to call that so I don't know how to search for it. Again, sorry for giant paragraph... I really wish pressing enter would work (it works everywhere but in this text box...) EDIT: Wanted to add that I was also thinking perhaps for all of the "troubles" they could be set like flags, and then there could just be a "trouble" flag that would go up so if the trouble flag is down, it won't check for all the troubles. But IDK if checking lots of ifs is even a big deal. I don't know a lot about making efficient code yet. I just try to make code that works.

Thanks a lot! The mousemap actually seems very simple to me, now, too. One of the things I love about programming is the more I learn about it, the more I realize it is always pretty simple/easy. Sometimes if you are thinking about a problem the wrong way, you can get stuck or frustrated, but the solution ends up being pretty simple in the end. I tell people I am teaching myself to program and they say "Wow that sounds so hard" but I want to say "It's really easy when you really start trying" but they think I am bragging that I am smart or something. Anyway, your solutions are very helpful and I was planning on learning about states next since it seems to be where everything is pointing anyway (to make bigger games/projects than simple board/number games and stuff). Even though I'm sure I'll learn about it, but is it easy to implement having more than one condition state for the pet? Like it could have its birthday, be stressed out, and have an injury all at the same time (... what a sad birthday...) Well, I'll figure it out. And I will go report that. I am using IE10 (it's like... 10.0.9something something) and Windows 8. In case you were curious O_o;; Thanks again!

[quote name='nesseggman' timestamp='1355640741' post='5011191']
I also want to note that when I press enter in this text box, it does not make a new line.
[/quote]
Hold Alt and on the number pad hit 013, then release Alt.

L. Spiro

You can work around the IE10 enter key bug by hitting the 'Toggle editing mode' button on the reply box (it's the the upperleftmost button). The enter key works properly in the raw editing mode.