EXTREME NEWB!!

Started by
18 comments, last by MythosGladiator 21 years, 8 months ago
I''m an extreme newb to programming. My passions are RPG''s. I have used RPG Maker 2000 for a while but it was too limited for an RPG that I would like to make. I was wondering what is the best programming language for newbs that isn''t too limited. I''d also like to know where to find some resourses on MIDI, graphics you know, the basics. I have great innovation and a storyline which is coming along nicely. If anyone would like to help me, either post on this thread or email me at: zelda2500@hotmail.com Thanx!! -Mythos
-Mythos
Advertisement
I think you should learn C++ A) because it''s powerful B) because people here will be able to help you C) it''s really not as hard as people claim.

Also note, dont expect to program an RPG as your first project. I wouldn''t classify loading sounds or graphics as basic.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
To learn C++, get the book:

Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days

and, I am starting a site with a few beggining C++ tutorials in the form of a book for free at the moment. WHen I get it going to the point where it could help you, I will post the site here.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
So what type of game would be a good starter?

-Mythos
-Mythos
Different people say different things... If you really like RPGs though, I''d suggest writing one of those "Arena" style games or something. Basically, you have a character with stats and you fight battles in an arena. You gain gold, buy better weapons, and repeat. All text-based, of course Simple, but fun, and it teaches you basic output and number manipulation, among other things.
Peon
Heh...I''m new to C++ to, but not game design. I need a suggestion with DirectX, because lots of the stuff I''m reading in the DirectX7 SDK and tutorials here on GameDev and other sites just don''t stick in my head...I already can tell one i get the bare basics of DX down, I will be able to do the rest easy (math and all that is simple...).

Does anyone know of a tutorial that doesn''t go through source code, but instead just lists everything that needs to be done to get a image on screen using DX? This source code stuff just doesn''t work for me...I learn by knowing and understanding what and how something needs to be done, not being given something I don''t understand...
MythosGladiator:

I would start with a simple text based game. Tic-Tac-Toe is good, a card game, mastermind, just a simple game to get the hang of the language.

Invader X
Invader''s Realm
A simple pacman game. Fun to make fun to play!
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Soul Blade,

I think a good book for you would be Windows Game Programming for Dummies. It does a great job of teaching you how to get DDraw working and how to load bitmaps, etc. It alsp explains DInput.

------------------------------------KaBeeM Web
<><
Is there any way to download a version of C++ or DirectX for free? Im really strapped for cash! I''d also like to know where to get some good places to find some source code.

-Mythos
-Mythos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement