How do I rotate a group of child objects in relation to a parent object?

Started by
10 comments, last by 0r0d 11 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, mate. I don't know how to work with matrices yet, but this experience has taught me I need to learn linear algebra. So that's what I'm focusing on right now. I appreciate the help.

Roy

Northwest Arkansas Game Developer Group
Live in Fayetteville, Springdale, Bentonville, or Rogers?
Interested in making video games and having fun?
Check us out on Meetup.
Advertisement
Thanks, mate. I don't know how to work with matrices yet, but this experience has taught me I need to learn linear algebra. So that's what I'm focusing on right now. I appreciate the help.

Roy

Basic matrix math is not so bad once you jump into it. There's some good websites that will teach you the basics of setting up a rotation matrix, transforming positions and direction vectors, and stuff like that. Any time you start moving objects around the world, having parent-child relationships, etc, you're into the realm of matrices... so that's the point where you should put everything else down, move matrices up to the top of your todo list, and learn them.

Once you have a basic matrix class and change your code to use them (whether you're working in 2D or 3D), it'll make your life much easier. It's like trying to dig a hole with your hands instead of using a shovel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement