Unity, yes or no?

Started by
42 comments, last by Hodgman 9 years, 6 months ago
Hi everyone,

I want to create a TPS, and after creating a couple of models for the game, my brother suggested that I should complete my game in Unity, because the engine that he's woriking on isn't finished. So I checked out Unity, and everything looks good and shiny, but when I went to read the review about it, all I could find was: "Bad engine, avoid", or "Unfinhed engine". So I want to ask you is Unity engine, a decent engine, or just another game making tool like the FPS Creator or Game maker. What are your experiences in Unity?

Thanks for the advice,

Noddy92
Advertisement

[font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Unity is a great engine, do not worry about it.
Here's a nice example:[/font]

Hi everyone,

I want to create a TPS, and after creating a couple of models for the game, my brother suggested that I should complete my game in Unity, because the engine that he's woriking on isn't finished. So I checked out Unity, and everything looks good and shiny, but when I went to read the review about it, all I could find was: "Bad engine, avoid", or "Unfinhed engine". So I want to ask you is Unity engine, a decent engine, or just another game making tool like the FPS Creator or Game maker. What are your experiences in Unity?

Thanks for the advice,

Noddy92

It is a great engine and the latest version (version 4.x) has added quite alot of nice features, you still need to buy the pro version to get the non-crippled renderer though. (Quite many fairly important renderer features are disabled in the free version)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
It's a very capable engine, and it's certainly not in any way "unfinished", but the non-pro version does have some significant features unavailable.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Agreed, there is nothing unfinished about it. Even the free version which i've been using since the release of version 3.0 is hands down one of the best. Do yourself a favor and play with it for at least a weekend. Depending on your level of programming, you might have your game prototype finished, then swap in your real graphics and done.

Where did you read that it was "Bad engine, avoid", or "Unfinhed engine"?

Agreed, there is nothing unfinished about it. Even the free version which i've been using since the release of version 3.0 is hands down one of the best. Do yourself a favor and play with it for at least a weekend. Depending on your level of programming, you might have your game prototype finished, then swap in your real graphics and done.

The pre 2.x releases weren't all that great to be honest, information on the internet has a tendency to stick around forever, even when it is outdated and no longer relevant.

Here, check this out http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines/unity#user-reviews
As for my Experience i must say Unity is a very impressive Engine. Not the Best but you can do many things with it then you would think of a Free Engine. There is also another positive thing about it, and that would be its price for commercial use.

And if you have skill in javascript or C# i would surely try Unity out.
There is even a good third person shooter tutorial and example project on the site for you to get started with.

[quote name='Kickpuncher' timestamp='1355749666' post='5011668']

Here, check this out http://devmaster.net...ty#user-reviews
[/quote]

To comment on the first review:

it is reviewing the now fairly old 3.2 version, most of the complaints raised are no longer valid. (Unity 4 (pro) has both a forward and deferred renderer and built in pathfinding) and weren't even valid for the pro version of 3.x. No built in AI editor, wtf ? You have to write your own AI code in every single general purpose game engine (that i know of atleast) on the market. I have a hard time even seeing how a "AI Editor" should work to be useful beyond a very specific game genre.

the second one is primarily bitching about the free version lacking features. (The free version is not, as the second review implies intended for independent developers, the pro version is, the free version is there for hobbyists or as an evaluation version).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement