Unity, yes or no?

Started by
42 comments, last by Hodgman 9 years, 6 months ago

You have to write your own AI code in every single general purpose game engine (that i know of atleast) on the market. I have a hard time even seeing how a "AI Editor" should work to be useful beyond a very specific game genre.

That's not true. Check out xaitment, for example: http://www.xaitment.com/

Incidentally xaitment has Unity support :)
Advertisement
Unity is really good if you want to be productive and finish something in a reasonable amount of time.
I've been programming commercial games with unity for about 8 months now and before that started making small games by myself in my free time 6 months before that. it's definitely a good choice if you want to make a project that doesn't take foreer

I've been programming commercial games with unity for about 8 months now and before that started making small games by myself in my free time 6 months before that. it's definitely a good choice if you want to make a project that doesn't take foreer

And how much money did you make with commercial games? I have another question, becaues Unity is most Java an C#, can I master them using Unity?
The C# I write in Unity is no different than the C# I write in a standalone C# program. Programming is programming. The same concepts always apply.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1355752460' post='5011686']
You have to write your own AI code in every single general purpose game engine (that i know of atleast) on the market. I have a hard time even seeing how a "AI Editor" should work to be useful beyond a very specific game genre.

That's not true. Check out xaitment, for example: http://www.xaitment.com/

Incidentally xaitment has Unity support smile.png
[/quote]

xaitment is not a general purpose game engine though, it is a specialized plugin for one. (FSMs are not a general purpose game AI solution)

@Noddy92

Unity3d uses C#, Boo(similar to Python) and UnityScript which is closely related to JavaScript, not Java,(Java and JavaScript are two extremely different languages, Java has a lot more in common with C# than it has with JavaScript, JavaScript was named LiveScript until some complete f--ktard decided that renaming it was a good idea. Those responsible for all that confusion deserve a high-five. In the face. With a chair).

You can learn and even master C# using Unity3D if you want. that is entierly up to you. Unity won't encourage you to explore all parts of the language though, most tutorials and documentation are focused on extending behaviours). Also, since Unity3D uses mono you won't have immediate support for the latest C# version (mono lags a bit behind).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

You can learn and even master C# using Unity3D if you want. that is entierly up to you. Unity won't encourage you to explore all parts of the language though, most tutorials and documentation are focused on extending behaviours). Also, since Unity3D uses mono you won't have immediate support for the latest C# version (mono lags a bit behind).

Okay, thanks for the advice, Simon.
So it's settled ten, I will use Unity to make mmy game. Thanks for the advice guys.
I know you've already made up your mind, but I just want to add to assure your decision, that there are plenty of professional games developed for PS3, 360, etc. that are built with Unity. A lot of bad reviews for Unity come from when Unity was a little baby. But now they're on Unity 4 and it is really powerful. I have just started using it myself, and I don't know a ton about it yet, but I have played professional games made on the engine, and they are superb. I've also seen a lot of what people can do on it, and read up about all its functions. It seems very complete and you can make all kinds of games and applications for it. When you're registering it, you can even choose if you're going to use it for games or other things like medical simulation...
I know that there are other engines devolped with Unity, but I like that this has the free option is available in it. And for graphics I can just upgrade it just like Kickpuncher wrote.

And how much money did you make with commercial games? I have another question, becaues Unity is most Java an C#, can I master them using Unity?

well the games were third party mobile app titles developed with freemium models so I really don't know the actual numbers i know between all the titles we got around 650,000 downloads and the one mobile title i do know of we made about $110,000 but again they were third party titles using licensed source material . as far as mastering java and C# . i believe the C# uses is standard though there are definitely unity- specific functions the code is the same C# you would use to program other applications and programs ( to my understanding feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) however i believe unity uses a modified version of java for programming so while it would be similar to java it does have its differences but even those i haven't researched personally.

Edt: I didn't see that Simon sorted out all the differences between scripting in unity versus other applications , sorry! good to see you decided to settle with unity though i have made a ton of games in trms of personal projects and commercial ones with it so i hope you become as much a fan of it as i am!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement