A Few Words of Encouragement

Started by
11 comments, last by Khatharr 11 years, 3 months ago
I talked to my CIS professor a few days ago and she gave me a real nugget of wisdom I want to share with all of my fellow beginners here on gamedev. This is a quote from her e-mail she sent me.

"Programming is just like any other skill, if you want to be good at it you have to do it a lot. That being said you have to willing to be really bad it for awhile before you can see the fruits of you labor. Don't feel bad because you haven't made Baulder's Gate in one semester. Build upon small realistic goals. Just do the basics and gain a real understanding of the foundational skills. Work hard and work consistently and you will be great at whatever you want."

So I just want to say to everyone out there to keep trying and stay in good cheer, even when things get hard. Push through your obstacles and you will become the programmer you want to be. Keep working hard, you will be rewarded for it!
Advertisement
This reassures me as I have gotten to a point where I am doing it every night, and am making more efficient coding progress each time. It's nice when you realise that others think the same.

Regards,

Stitchs.
I thought it's funny that she references Baldur's Gate.

She must have been a fan.

I thought it's funny that she references Baldur's Gate.

She must have been a fan.

Not much of one: am I the only hybrid gaming/spelling geek that winced at "Baulder's"?

Kidding aside, it's good to see that kind of honest advice coming out of school faculty.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Excellent advice, it sounds like you have a good professor. Thanks for sharing this with others! smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

I wish I had your professor. My professor is quite apathetic about the subject. He only shows up on campus for his one night class and just reads off powerpoint slides. Mind you these slides were already provided to the students by the book, which was a terrible book in my opinion. Luckily I had been self teaching myself for quite a while and was able to help out my fellow classmates. My friend was joking around how it's kind of like "Dumbledore's Army" from Harry Potter haha,
Boulder's Gate! :D

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I wish I had your professor. My professor is quite apathetic about the subject. He only shows up on campus for his one night class and just reads off powerpoint slides. Mind you these slides were already provided to the students by the book, which was a terrible book in my opinion. Luckily I had been self teaching myself for quite a while and was able to help out my fellow classmates. My friend was joking around how it's kind of like "Dumbledore's Army" from Harry Potter haha,

all over the world professors are like that... You know my prof. Taught entire C++ in just 2 hours.. Beginners(who took biology in high school) are almost dead... He did the same thing ...just showed some presentation in one night and finished the portion

I talked to my CIS professor a few days ago and she gave me a real nugget of wisdom I want to share with all of my fellow beginners here on gamedev. This is a quote from her e-mail she sent me.

"Programming is just like any other skill, if you want to be good at it you have to do it a lot. That being said you have to willing to be really bad it for awhile before you can see the fruits of you labor. Don't feel bad because you haven't made Baulder's Gate in one semester. Build upon small realistic goals. Just do the basics and gain a real understanding of the foundational skills. Work hard and work consistently and you will be great at whatever you want."

So I just want to say to everyone out there to keep trying and stay in good cheer, even when things get hard. Push through your obstacles and you will become the programmer you want to be. Keep working hard, you will be rewarded for it!

I must say does are some Wise words.But i do also have some from my Programming Teacher.

"Programming aint Hard its just Complex and Simple. If you think its Hard your doing something wrong."

This needs to be pinned, this is seriously good advice.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement