• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

How to make a fast video player? (draw large images to screen)

This topic is 1859 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm a newbie in DirectX,

I need to make a video player. I have sequences of image data (bitmaps) which are very large (1920x1080), and need to display them onto the screen at least 60FPS.

What is the most efficient way to do this so I won't get loading/displaying delays?

PS: (I'm assuming using DirectX will be a good idea?)

Thanks in advance,
Tom. Edited by Tom77

Advertisement
[url="http://directxplayer.codeplex.com/"]this[/url] project is couple of years old but maybe it will help you.

It would probably have these parts:
1)Loading soon to be used image data from disk to RAM
*Compression? (will add CPU load, but possibly load faster from disk)

2)Sending it to the GPU
*Compression? (faster uploading, more GPU load to decompress, all compression may happen on GPU instead of CPU!)

3)Drawing
*Copy the image somehow, upload directly to a framebufferthingie? I dont know. Copying might be necessary if you compress unless there is some hardware decompression thing.

If possible, i would keep the images in a compressed form on disc and decompress on GPU.
If images cant be compressed on disc, either compress them on CPU and decompress on GPU if needed or just pass them as-is.

It would probably be best to let the program decide where and if to decompress (and compress if disc contains noncompressed data) depending on how fast the GPU, CPU and uploading is.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement