Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brandon6684

Delphi free?

brandon6684    123
I was at borland''s site and saw Delphi personal edition which is supposedly free. I was just wondering what the limitations are in this "free" version since they don''t just come out and say it.

TheSisko    122
I heard some pretty good things about it. I couldn''t find anything on the differences either though. My advice: just download, and see for yourself! BTW I''m using d6 ent, I could give the sourcecode to you if you want?

Lumin    122
I first downloaded the Full thing its a 60 day trial .. but when those 60 days where over I tought I was gona give the personal edition a try to see if it had the things that I needed. and so far I have not one time needed anything from the trial edition. The personal edition will also suit you well if you are just gona do game programming, it got all the normal components with it and if its anything else you need its just to take a jump on the web and find it as there are lots of free components sites out there.
Alltough im gona support Borland with this fine piece of software and atleast buy a the personal edition for the 90 bucks or so it cost.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
D6 Personal has a reduced component set.

Notably:

No Web
No Database ( NO NONE AT ALL )
Basically nothing extra beyond the standard base control sets.

Tabs you get: Standard, Additonal, Win32, System, Dialogs, Win 3.1, Samples, ActiveX, Internet. Note the internet only contains 2 socket componets!

Other notable things missing include:

Editor enhacnments, like Class Completion, method and class browser etc....

While I miss all the great features of a full versions, D6 seems like another rock solid, and extremly great tool.

Unbfortuantly I cant afford to spend 800 or 2000+ for the pro or enterprise at this point. So I will stick with older versions and personal.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
PS D6 Personal does not include CLX, so there is no Kylix compatibility in D6 Personal!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
PPS

The web site includes and extremly comprehensive feature matrix.

Check: http://www.borland.co.uk/delphi/del6/featurematrix/

or for the full PDF:

http://www.borland.co.uk/delphi/del6/featurematrix/featurematrix.pdf

RTFM! ( there should be an equiviant for homepages/web sites :-) )

Sly    128
Delphi 6 Personal does indeed lack some of the components. Who really needs database components for personal use anyway? Internet components? There are plenty of them around for free. The only real things that I miss are the editor enhancements such as class completion (Shift+Ctrl+C) and jumping between procedure declaration and implementation (Shift+Ctrl+Down). I am sure they could be implemented as an IDE plug-in though.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios

brandon6684    123
Well I guess it looks like it has about what I need, I don''t think I''ll really ever use that web or database stuff, I just basiclly program for fun, so I guess it will be worth the download.

MarkyD    127
quote:
Original post by Sly
Internet components? There are plenty of them around for free.

Where? I don''t have a single one!

~ There''s no substitute for failure ~

turbo    115
I like the "Indy" internet componets

http://www.nevrona.com/Indy/

Internet Direct (Indy) - An open source internet component suite comprised of popular internet protocols. Both client and server implementations are included as well as full source code and comprehensive demos

Indy is an open source internet development library for the Borland product line which is based completely on blocking sockets. The Client components are easy to use because you write your transactions in a sequence and the servers are multithreaded.

[ Michael Wilson | turbo sys-op | turbo.gamedev.net ]

Sly    128
I use Francois Piette''s Internet Component Suite. Free with full source code, it contains basic sockets, servers, and components to handle most major protocols such as SMTP, POP3, HTTP, NNTP, FTP, etc. All socket operations are done with asynchronous sockets, ie. non-blocking, avoiding any need for multithreading.

Steve ''Sly'' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios

wrenhal    122
Anyone know of a free database component then??? I will be needing database, but it''s all for learning purposes and I know how to do that stuff in VB and am switching over to Delphi and can''t afford more than the personal edition .

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
A little nonsense now and then,
is relished by the wisest men
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

wrenhal    122
quote:
Original post by wrenhal
Anyone know of a free database component then??? I will be needing database, but it''s all for learning purposes and I know how to do that stuff in VB and am switching over to Delphi and can''t afford more than the personal edition .

B e S
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

HELLOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Anybody home???

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
. o O ~
~ O o .
-- Willy Wonka

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Try out Interbase! That''s an SQL database wich is free and are coming with the Delphi CD and there are components to use within Delphi! Else Paradox tabels are working fine.