Open a file by tiping in its name in Visual studio 2010 c++

Started by
9 comments, last by BaneTrapper 11 years, 3 months ago
Hello.
What i am trying to do is find a way to navigate around files in Visual studio 2010 c++,
I have about 20 files(.cpp, .h) and am expecting about 50-70 more, and navigating around is a real pain.

In codeblocks there was a way for this "Alt+G" .

Any tips and suggestions how to navigate around files?
Advertisement
You can use the search box for this: just type in ">of myFile" (without quotes) and it opens the file.

As an alternative there are add-ons that do this. Visual Assist X, for example, has that feature.
You can install Vissual Assist X into Visual Studio as a plugin in which has this bound to ALT+SHIFT+O by default. There is nothing like this in stock Visual Studio and you are going to have to rely on a plugin to do this for you. Visual Studio Express versions don't support plugins so there is no way to get it in those other then to bring up the open file dialog, but that's not really what you are after I think.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Well that said.
Codeblocks gets my n1 IDE prize.
Until i can afford visual studio.

Thanks on help.
well i colleague of mine once told me that around 10 years ago they used to navigate through files in visual studio by using the shortcut for open file (Control + O) and start typing the name of the file. guess you could use that. :)
In the command window (Ctrl + alt + A) type:

open [filename]

at the prompt.
You generally just need the name of the file, it should generally be able to find the full path automatically.
Uh, why hasn't anyone said anything about Ctrl+Comma yet (or Edit->Navigate To if your keybinds are different)? That lets you to navigate to files and/or symbols in your code by typing their names. Is it not available in the express editions or something?
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
This feature has been added to VS2012 just for the record.

Edit : Apologies, I assumed that it must be a new feature, if people are claiming they don't have it in 2010.
I wrote a plug-in for this because I missed the Visual Assist functionality but didn't want to purchase it:
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=56

It also supports Alt-O to open the .cpp from a .h and vice versa.
Honestly, I don't quite get it. What's the problem with typing

>of

in the search box? The search box is there by default (I might be mistaken, but even if it isn't, it's easy to get it), so it's only four keystrokes (including the space after the "of") to get this feature. Yes, it also works in the command window as Sandman suggested, but I think the search box is a lot faster.

There is nothing like this in stock Visual Studio

This is plain wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement