Does making a game like fruit ninja/angry brids require a large team

Started by
22 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 4 months ago

* Coordinate all of the design into a polished game (game designer)

Thanks for the reply. I think I should start out by making the game with basic graphics and simple animations done in photoshop/paint. Once I have the game design down, I will spend a lot more time on polishing it and making it attractive. I will probably end up buying a graphics tablet and a copy of adobe creative suite and just work away with some art/graphics.

Does this "game designer" do any programmig related work?
Advertisement

[quote name='Morphex' timestamp='1355833899' post='5012011']
1 / 2 years? arent you overcomplicating stuff? using already made plaforms for physics and rendering (heck if you know how, you could roll your own), and if you are confortable with development you can pretty much throw a game like this in a few months. Those games are not that much complicated, with a team of about 5 guys, artists sound and programmers, you can do it in that time frame.

I usually make 90% of the game in the first month and spend the rest of the time on polishing the details, finding bugs and usability analysis.
[/quote]

Do you work on these games alone too? Have you released any games for iOS or android? I am just starting and would love to ask someone who has gone down the same path a few questions.

[quote name='nesseggman' timestamp='1355841883' post='5012060']
* Coordinate all of the design into a polished game (game designer)

Thanks for the reply. I think I should start out by making the game with basic graphics and simple animations done in photoshop/paint. Once I have the game design down, I will spend a lot more time on polishing it and making it attractive. I will probably end up buying a graphics tablet and a copy of adobe creative suite and just work away with some art/graphics.

Does this "game designer" do any programmig related work?
[/quote]

You don't need to get Adobe $$$$$$ products to make good art. There are plenty of free, open-source art programs out there. Especially if you are not already a professional artist, don't waste the money. If you get really into art and you are doing it on a highly professional level, you might want to buy some Adobe art software. But it's really not necessary unless you're really at the top of the game.

And a the game designer/coordinator work I mentioned doesn't have to be one person nor do they have to be the programmer. Everyone can work together to decide those things, or one of the other people working on it can do it, or you can do it, whatever. Just someone who knows what makes a good game, and they can say "Add a more chimey sound effect here" or "the transition between these two screens could be smoother if you did this" or whatever. Sometimes there is a person who does nothing but that, but often it also can come from everyone involved kind of pitching in ideas (talking about amateur teams, of course. I think in the professional world they would have more "set" jobs for everyone, but IDK)
A small part of the people from the studio I work started a fruit ninja clone/research and they did it in a couple months. We did a similar test with trying to reproduce the mechanics from angry birds and it was done in about a week. It's possible to achieve this with a small team but results may be different from the original game itself (Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds).

A small part of the people from the studio I work started a fruit ninja clone/research and they did it in a couple months. We did a similar test with trying to reproduce the mechanics from angry birds and it was done in about a week. It's possible to achieve this with a small team but results may be different from the original game itself (Fruit Ninja or Angry Birds).

indeed, making the first 90% of a game doesn't take that long, it is the other 90% that are difficult, it is the polish that makes the difference between a yet another mediocre <insert game genre here> and a great game. Angry Birds is essentially a crush the castle clone(Rovio started development on Angry birds shortly after Crush the Castle became a bit of a hit on armor games and apart from the cute birds, level design quality and overall polish the two games are virtually identical.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
You don't need to get Adobe $$$$$$ products to make good art[/QUOTE]

We should all come with $$$$$$ after our names perhaps ? Then it would be clear that we all want to make money !

Adobe make good software, I have a copy of Photoshop installed which I bought for $185 from my university bookstore. I use it all the time. If the OP is a student then it wouldn't be much to spend, and it's not a waste of money.

You don't need to get Adobe $$$$$$ products to make good art

We should all come with $$$$$$ after our names perhaps ? Then it would be clear that we all want to make money !

Adobe make good software, I have a copy of Photoshop installed which I bought for $185 from my university bookstore. I use it all the time. If the OP is a student then it wouldn't be much to spend, and it's not a waste of money.
[/quote]

The $$s were not meant to be part of the name. To rephrase:

You don't need expensive or costly Adobe products to make art.

I'm not saying the products are bad. I'm saying they're for dedicated professionals. Adobe's art software is superb; I'm not denying that. I just don't think a hobbyist programmer who wants to be able to make some art with something better than pbrush.exe needs to go out and buy the most expensive professional art software available. There are plenty of free options available, and they cost nothing. Spending money on something you don't need is wasteful, even if that purchase would be valuable to someone else.

I think it's a lot more reasonable to start with free art software and then upgrade to an expensive, more professional package only if you find the need to. There's no point in buying software, even if you get it cheap, if you're just going to do the same stuff you can do with the free software.
Not played Fruit Ninja(looks a crazy game!) but the only real challenge to making Angry Birds would be writing a physics engine. If they have such an API to hand then there won't be much challenge at all.

At a stretch, it would take two people to make AB comfortably: A programmer/mathematician and an artist/designer/musician.

I can only imagine that it would take more people if the project was commercial and had a very short deadline.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

I think the level building and testing alone for Angry Birds would be quite serious. I doubt two people could do that game up the quality that it is without a lengthy timeline.
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.

You don't need expensive or costly Adobe products to make art.

No, but it helps ... seriously, I would love to love Gimp and InkScape and I check up on them every few years to see if I can reasonably make the switch from Adobe products but it still seems like it would be hard.

Mainly because

1. Gimp still doesn't have the equivalent of Photoshop's layer styles. (As far as I know, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Seriously, I'm interested in hearing if I'm wrong about this...).
  2. InkScape is still lightyears behind Illustrator (imho) and further once you've committed to photoshop for raster you really want illustrator for vector because they work well together for obvious reasons.

1. is important for making GUI widgets such as buttons, progress meters, popup menus, etc. for a game because these type of graphics (as well as lots of other things) can be done with polish in photoshop really really really easily as styled rectangular layers at the core, adorned with other raster graphics as necessary.

2. may not be important depending on whether or not you have any need of vector graphics, which mostly depends on the style of art in your game, but, that said, vector art, if you are comfortable and quick at making it, is often helpful as a tool used in the process of creating raster art. For example, you need a curvy scalloped frame around the game board area of a puzzle game: create the curvy scalloped frame shape in Illustrator, import it into photoshop as a layer, style the layer in photoshop. Yes, it could all be done in PS but Illustrator is easier.

Basically, my position is that if you are a programmer and good at art and want do your own art for a game that requires a lot of 2D, don't dismiss out of hand getting Adobe products because they are super expensive. You can legally get Photoshop and Illustrator without breaking the bank:

1. Lower your expectations about how cheap is cheap.
  2. If you are a student or a teacher, or know a student or teacher who owes you a favor, buy the latest version of the Creative Suite with the student discount.
  3. Otherwise, buy the creative suite that is a few versions older than the current version as a download from an online discount software store. These sites seem shady but are legit as far as I know or anyway I've never had a problem. I can, for example, personally vouch that bargainsoftwareshop.com will not rip you off and I'm sure that if they were doing something illegal Adobe would have shut them down.

Anyway, rant over ... Gimp and InkScape are fine too, perhaps especially if you have never drunk the Adobe Kool-Aid, but my bottom line in this post is that if you want to make a game with visual polish, it is going to cost some money -- maybe not a whole lot, but it is hard to achieve "polish" without spending something. Over the course of my "career" working on 2D game projects independently (which other people have told me were polished, on occasion) I've shelled out cash for fonts, textures, photoshop styles, Wacom tablets, stock art, etc. It is hard to make something that looks professional and do every single thing yourself ... that's just the way it is. And I also think -- here others may disagree -- that it is also hard make a game look professional and only use free tools.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement