Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JD

Gf3 support for ps1.2, 1.3? Radeon 1.0?

I''m sure someone here uses dx8.1 beta api with geforce3 and its latest drivers. Can someone tell me what the highest version of pixel shaders is supported by the geforce3? I''ve asked two nvidia driver guys one says it supports 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 but not 1.4 the other says it supports only 1.0 and 1.1. What conclusion can I make out of this? Looks like I''ll be getting radeon 8500 because I know it supports ps1.4 and below. What I don''t get is all these card companies want us developers to get on the ball with pixel shaders so their cards would sell but they forget to tell us how to do it. Kindof sad if you ask me. At least Ati is on the ball then again I don''t know if original radeon supports ps1.0. Anyone with radeon and dx8.0 can check their device caps viewer to see if 1.0 is supported pretty please? Thanks a billion

Keep in mind that the gf3 predates 1.4 by alot and the 8500 is just now coming out. Who knows what new nVidia drivers will do, but I wouldn''t call the situation sad yet. My guess is that the gf3 will support 1.4 by the time 1.4 becomes readily available. Just a guess...

I asked Cass from www.opengl.org and he said gf3 supports ps up to 1.3.(Weird Richard thinks otherwise) I think Cass would say "not now but in future drivers it will" but he didn't. So I assume gf3 stops at ps1.1 according to Richard because I trust him more UNLESS someone here can fire up their gf3 and dx8.1 and tell me otherwise

Edited by - JD on October 16, 2001 9:45:52 PM

Ok, cass got back to me and richard was right. Gf3 hardware goes only to 1.0 and 1.1. The following posts strongly suggest that the hardware is unable to go 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4 with dx8.1. Meaning no driver updates will make these newer versions of pixel shaders available to us. Here you go:

post1

post2

Suddenly, the radeon 8500 is starting to look more attractive A little bit more expensive than gf3 ti200 but a lot faster with more "gotta play with" features.

Edited by - JD on October 17, 2001 2:32:18 AM