Free test graphics

Started by
13 comments, last by Guimo 22 years, 5 months ago
I don''t think that ripping tiles will be illegal unless you distribute the graphics, so if it''s just for personal testing, there''s nothing illegal in it.

If you want others to test it, though, that may technically be illegal.

However, I doubt that Activision are going to take you to court unless you try to use the tiles in a finished game.

One good solution might be to rip graphics from free tilesets for other games. SimCity 2000 can use custom tilesets, and I imagine many of them are free. Other games may have similar features.

Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka
CoV
Advertisement
Here;s a web site for rippinf diablo 2
graphics:
http://grw.boom.ru/downloads1.htm
There is no real ethical problem with ripping copyrighted graphics as far as you don''t make money with your product (which is why they''re copyrighted) and you state where did you get the stuff.

I have been working on the game modding scene making programs, most of the time I ripped graphics from these games to make the GUI and we (my group) even received congratulations about these programs from international game developers like Black Isle and MicroFortè.

What they don''t want is to have others making money with their effort or to appropriate it and say you made them, *that* is what is wrong and must not be done.
quote:Original post by MatuX
There is no real ethical problem with ripping copyrighted graphics as far as you don''t make money with your product (which is why they''re copyrighted) and you state where did you get the stuff.

I have been working on the game modding scene making programs, most of the time I ripped graphics from these games to make the GUI and we (my group) even received congratulations about these programs from international game developers like Black Isle and MicroFortè.

What they don''t want is to have others making money with their effort or to appropriate it and say you made them, *that* is what is wrong and must not be done.

That''s BS. You shouldn''t publicly distribute anything with copied assets, even if it is for free. You won''t make any more for yourself, but what will happen is the sales of what you have copied from will go down.

A game mod isn''t bad, as long as they need to buy what you ripped from to play it. But ripping art from one published game to use in a mod for another is definately not cool, even if you don''t make any money off of it.
I think that''s unlikely. If I saw a program that used graphics ripped from Tib Sun, say, that wouldn''t mean that I decide that I definately wasn''t going to buy Tib Sun.

For programs that are clones, then your argument may be valid, but MatuX appears to be referring to programs designed to mod the game from which the graphics have been ripped. You can''t use such a program without buying the game.

Regardless of anything else, what attracts me to a game is not graphics, but gameplay. If somebody ripped the models from Star Fleet Command and put them into a Homeworld mod, for example, that wouldn''t (and didn''t) stop me from buying SFC, because I know putting models from SFC into Homeworld doesn''t magically turn Homeworld into SFC: if I want to play SFC, I can buy SFC; if I want to play Homeworld with models from SFC, I can do that, to.

If your game is so dissimilar from another that people wouldn''t bother to buy yours if your graphics were available for the other, then your game isn''t good enough.

Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka
CoV

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement