MMORPGs, Why Is There More Discussion Than Other Genres?

Started by
11 comments, last by KorangarDev 11 years, 3 months ago
When I was developing a theoretical MMORPG design there were so many spaces where I could go, MMORPG.com, being a large one, where I could discuss specific ideas and also just argue about them in general. Sandbox or themepark, fast travel or not, local or global economies.

Yet when I started to do actual work on RTS games there weren't really any dedicated spaces to discuss either the specific aspects of my ideas or more general concepts.

Extensive google search rarely came up with useful results either for rts or city building dicussions. It seems like most rts and city builder forums are sites of actual games, whereas MMOs are talked about in many other venues.

MMORPG.com and other sites have satellite sites like RTSGuru and such for other genres but these are never very popular.

Is there something particular about MMOs that people just get way more excited talking about them than other genres?
Advertisement
Basically, MMORPGs are the Newbie Designer's genre of choice, and since newbie designers outnumber non-newbie designers by about a billion to one, they are the genre that gets talked about the most. That and the fact that everyone who plays WoW wants to moan about the stuff they don't like and design their own game that 'fixes' it - like WoW, but better.

Personally, I think you'd have to be insane to develop an MMORPG. It's a lot of time and money to enter an extremely oversaturated and unforgiving market.
In addition to it being the newest genre out there and the lure of success, I believe that developing an MMO has an inherent "playing god" quality about it that other genres don't have. Build a world, populate it with people, and see how they fare. What's not exciting about that?
More people spend more time playing MMOs than RTSes, would be my guess. It's much more common to get a design idea related to the genre you are currently playing or have played the most in the past few years than other genres.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

'Newbie designer' comment is a pretty good point.

Also, I'd say that anyone who plays a lot of video games knows about the shortcomings of computer opponents and computer teammates. Having people working both for and against you is more fun and will open up more engrossing interactions.

I Create Games to Help Tell Stories

I agree with sunandshadow that people spend a lot of time playing MMOs compared to other genres. And I'll add that a huge amount of time spent in MMOs would be considered unforgivable filler in other genres, and often not very engaging filler at that. It's easy when you're killing the same mobs for four hours in the hopes of scoring rare loot to imagine things that you'd rather be doing in game.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

I agree with sunandshadow that people spend a lot of time playing MMOs compared to other genres. And I'll add that a huge amount of time spent in MMOs would be considered unforgivable filler in other genres, and often not very engaging filler at that. It's easy when you're killing the same mobs for four hours in the hopes of scoring rare loot to imagine things that you'd rather be doing in game.

It doesn't have to be that way. MMORPGs can have different styles of play without resorting to quest/mob grinds. Surely, players will do repetitive tasks, but that is up to them. If it is forced, there is something wrong.

It doesn't have to be that way. MMORPGs can have different styles of play without resorting to quest/mob grinds. Surely, players will do repetitive tasks, but that is up to them. If it is forced, there is something wrong.

I'm not saying that it has to be that way, but that's a cornerstone mechanic in the most popular MMO approaches. When an enormous portion of the game is based around repetitive spreadsheet action, a lot of players *will* be forced to do it regardless of whether or not different activities are available. It's not just quest/mob grinds either, there's plenty of crafting grinds and trading grinds and breeding grinds and on and on and on.

And it's a very rare MMO idea post I see that doesn't seem to be overwhelmingly influenced by existing games with the above mentioned design.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

I agree with all the above. WoW is incredibly popular, so probably more game designers have extensively played that game so it serves as a solid frame of reference. The psychology of being god is no doubt true as well. Just look at the WoW forums were "blue posts" are treated with a kind of almost spiritual reverence.

Really, the old thing that surprises me is with LoL's growing popularity (it has just overtaken WoW by some metrics), why I almost never see any interest in hobbyist game developers building a MOBA.
Player interactions can be very complicated. With many people, you have to design how each feature will affect multiple parties. Also, MMORPGs are build to be played longer, so you need to have more content, which also inspires complaints about grinding, especially since you have to grind a certain amount in order to be on the same level as your friends.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement