Installing Linux

Started by
15 comments, last by slyterence 22 years, 5 months ago
/etc/X11/xf86config
/usr/doc/X11...
There''s a text file in there that details the process of tuning your configuration file for your X server version and video card. That''s likely why no screens are being found.

Also type ''man xf86config'' which should give you info on the various sections of your config file; you''ll need to adjust certain default params for your particular video card. At least, I had to when I ran Mandrake and RedHat.
Advertisement
I would look on http://www.evil3d.net
Great 3D hardware site with equal attention to Linux and Windows, has great tutorials on getting various 3d cards up and running for various distros.

Almost all of them have little tweaks and often its just easier to download the drivers from NVIDIA directly and follow the instructions on the evil3d site.

HTH

I think you need to update XFree86 to version 4.x in order to get the nVidia-drivers working. If you find RedHat 7.1 somewhere I suggest you go for it as it has working XFree86 4.x and nVidia drivers straight on the install.

-Neophyte
quote:Original post by Neophyte
I think you need to update XFree86 to version 4.x in order to get the nVidia-drivers working. If you find RedHat 7.1 somewhere I suggest you go for it as it has working XFree86 4.x and nVidia drivers straight on the install.

-Neophyte

I am running the NVidia drivers with the NVidia Riva TNT2 with XFree 3.3.5

Hello from my world
quote:Original post by Neophyte

-Neophyte

I am running the NVidia drivers with the NVidia Riva TNT2 with XFree 3.3.5 so version 4.x is not a necessity at all.

Hello from my world
All you suck! I couldn''t get the new Nvidia drivers to work
at all. So what did I do, got an ATI card on impulse. Then
I found out its the only Radeon card that lacks a real driver
at this time and I cant get into X at all. Well thats what
I get for being impulsive. Anyway on topic I had some trouble
using Disk Druid to create my partitions at all. Ended up just
using Fdisk to create them and druid to finnish up. As mentioned
your hard drive should show up as hda0/hda1. hda0 being your actual HD and hda1 being the main partition. It skips to hda5 because the partions after the first are of a diferent nature.
I belive Active vs logical if I''m recaling corectly. In the end
I just didn''t trust Disk Druid too much. I wonder if adding
a second no ext2 partion get tricky because of the mounting
structure. Where would it go? /mnt/hdaX ? Maby something more
needs to be done because of that. Maby not, I am still awfuly
green.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
To clarify:

harddrive devices in linux are called hda, hdb, hdc, etc... (i.e. no number after).

Primary partitions on hda would be called hda1, hda2, hda3 and hda4 (there can only be four primary partitions on a drive), and similiarly for hdb, hdc, etc...

Logical partitions within an extended partition are named with number 5 and above (e.g. hdb5, hdb6, hdb7, etc... for hdb)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement