• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miicchhii

Some Feedback on my Multiplayer Pong Game please!

11 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I am working on a little game called jPong,
and i would really like to get some feedback from you!

Here's the Link:
http://www.langeder.org/wordpress/games/jpong/

It is not finished yet, but already playable in multiplayer.

Please note that there is a bug when starting the launcher, which will just open a blank window.
This can be fixed by restarting the launcher a few times.

So far it took me around 20 hours to make it.

Thanks! Edited by miicchhii

This is a bug, that i am already aware of.

It helps to restart the launcher a few times or use a different JRE version

I have the same issue. I tried restarting it 20+ times and nothing. It would be best to get this bug resolved before asking people to test again. Also, could you attach a code sample?

Regards,

Stitchs.

Ok, thanks for the feedback :)

i am sorry for that, it worked most of the time for me...

Here is the Code for the launcher:

[CODE]
package jPong_multi;

import java.awt.Dimension;
import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;
import java.awt.event.ActionListener;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.io.InputStream;
import javax.imageio.ImageIO;
import javax.swing.*;
/**
* @author Michael Langeder
*/
public class Launcher extends JFrame implements ActionListener{
/**
*/
private static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;
/**
* Launcher für JPong
*/
public static void main(String[] args) {
// TODO Auto-generated method stub
new Launcher();
try {
//load Ball
String Pathl1 = "img/ball2.png";
InputStream streaml1 = JPong.class.getResourceAsStream(Pathl1);
JPong.img_ball = ImageIO.read(streaml1);
JPong.ballR=JPong.img_ball.getWidth();
//load Cursor1
String Pathl2 = "img/cursor.png";
InputStream streaml2 = JPong.class.getResourceAsStream(Pathl2);
JPong.img_cursor = ImageIO.read(streaml2);
//load Cursor2
String Pathl3 = "img/cursor2.png";
InputStream streaml3 = JPong.class.getResourceAsStream(Pathl3);
JPong.img_cursor2 = ImageIO.read(streaml3);
} catch (IOException e) {
System.out.println("At least 1 Picture could not be opened!");
JPong.run=false;
} catch (IllegalArgumentException e){
System.out.println("A Picture has not been loaded!");
JPong.run=false;
} catch (NullPointerException e){
System.out.println("Could not get size of ball!");
JPong.run=false;
}

}
public Launcher(){
//initialize window properties
this.setTitle("jPong Launcher");
this.setSize(200,150);
this.setVisible(true);

//create elements
JPanel launcherPanel = new JPanel();
JLabel launcherLabel = new JLabel();
JButton startButtonClient = new JButton("Connect to Host");
JButton startButtonServer = new JButton("Host Game");
final JTextField adressLine = new JTextField("Type Server IP");
adressLine.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(100,20));
//attach elements
launcherPanel.add(launcherLabel);
launcherPanel.add(adressLine);
launcherPanel.add(startButtonClient);
launcherPanel.add(startButtonServer);
this.add(launcherPanel);
/**
* Connect as Client
*/
startButtonClient.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){
@Override
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent e) {
String adresse = adressLine.getText();
new JPong(adresse);
setVisible(false);
}
});
/**
* Connect as Client
*/
adressLine.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){
@Override
String adresse = adressLine.getText();
new JPong(adresse);
setVisible(false);
}
});
/**
* start Server and connect as Client
*/
startButtonServer.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){
@Override
new Server();
new JPong("localhost");
setVisible(false);
}
});

}
@Override
// TODO Auto-generated method stub

}
}
[/CODE]

I hope someone can tell me where the problem is :)

Thanks already!

I had the same issue as the other two in this thread. I resolved it by dragging the lower bottom right corner and expanding window size.

I started the game but I do not know how to play. I tried pressing a bunch of random buttons but nothing happens. I do see two paddles and a ball. Edited by black_darkness

I got a game up and running thanks to Ultramailman. How many more hours are you going to put into this? I think it will be fun if you make the ball increase in speed depending on the angle. ( I think that is how the original pong worked.) .

Thank you guys so much!

[quote name='ultramailman' timestamp='1355978938' post='5012708']
Nice game, although I think it wouldn't hurt if the ball was a little bit faster. Or make the speed adjustable.
It would also be good if you can fix the need to resize the launcher just to reveal the buttons.
[/quote]

I just moved the "setSize();" after the swing stuff, its now working 100% for me.

[CODE]
launcherPanel.add(startButtonServer);
this.add(launcherPanel);
this.setSize(200,151);
/**
* Connect as Client
[/CODE]

[quote name='black_darkness' timestamp='1355980420' post='5012709']
I think it will be fun if you make the ball increase in speed depending on the angle. ( I think that is how the original pong worked.
[/quote]

The speed is currently increasing on every contact with a paddle,
but i want to manipulate the direction of the ball depending on the position on the paddel where it collides.

[quote name='black_darkness' timestamp='1355980420' post='5012709']
How many more hours are you going to put into this?
[/quote]

I think i am going to put 20 hours or more into it, to make it a real nice game (better graphics, higher performance, better networking, and of course fixing every little bug)

To extend it, i am thinking of adding a list of recent servers for quick-connect, Bonus Items (in- or decrease paddle Size, gravitation,...)

[quote name='black_darkness' timestamp='1356001783' post='5012759']
I recommend making the paddle easier to see. It was kind of hard to see on my 1080p monitor.
[/quote]

I already replaced the line with a bar,
its in the new release with the bugfix.

I played the first version, I have not done any network programming myself. Is it normal for the host to be the mirror of the clients' screen (showing the opposite?).

Also, the paddles are hard to see, but it appears you have rectified this. I think my 2 biggest issues are:
[list]
[*]Not accounting for when a key is held down; i.e. the paddle only moves one unit on a key-press before having to be pressed again to move more.
[*]The ball going slightly off-screen before 'bouncing' back. This could be fixed with a simple intersection between screen dimensions and ball dimensions.
[/list]

Otherwise, good job on the networking, it's something I want to look into (eventually....)

Regards,

Stitchs. Edited by stitchs