What language should I write my indie game in?

Started by
7 comments, last by Donn Kishoti 11 years, 3 months ago
A few friends and I are working on an indie game. The story is written and the 3d models and textures are being made. The coding will come soon, after we get some resources done. What would be the best language in which to write a PC game that can be readily distributed via the internet or discs?
Advertisement
Do you want to make a game or learn how to program? Do you know any languages yet? If you don't even know what language/technology you want to leverage, you might want to use something that less programming-oriented. In any case, it would let you do some prototyping so you can figure out if your idea is fun or not.
I know java, and a tiny bit of c++

I know java

Unless you have a reason not to, pick java.

What would be the best language in which to write a PC game that can be readily distributed via the internet or discs?

This can be achieved using many languages, but since you are doing it in a group you need to discuss with your team what to pick.
Use what you know best and feel most comfortable with. Everything else is pretty much secondary, unless you're specifically trying to learn a new language.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

If you know Java, stick with that! If you're SPECIFICALLY trying to learn a new language, try out C or C++.
I Started with a Hybrid Language Called Blitz3D. Simple graphic routines. Designed for games. Based on C++ and Basic. Cheap to purchase off their WebSite BlitzBasic.
This allowed me to concentrate more on game programming and design rather than learning alot of complicated coding to invoke graphics. The IDE allows you you to run your code for testing without having to recompile every time.

Small Typos are pointed out for correction.You can download the demo free. has online documentation. Demo does not expired. You just can not compile executible code until you buy. However, If you are wanting to do C or C++ you can then translate the code to that language. I have found this language to be very usefull in learning and speed.

Your Brain contains the Best Program Ever Written : Manage Your Data Wisely !!

As others have said, pick Java. If you want to write a novel and English is your native tongue, why try to learn French?
I Started with a Hybrid Language Called Blitz3D. Simple graphic routines. Designed for games. Based on C++ and Basic. Cheap to purchase off their WebSite BlitzBasic.
This allowed me to concentrate more on game programming and design rather than learning alot of complicated coding to invoke graphics. The IDE allows you you to run your code for testing without having to recompile every time.

Small Typos are pointed out for correction.You can download the demo free. has online documentation. Demo does not expired. You just can not compile executible code until you buy. However, If you are wanting to do C or C++ you can then translate the code to that language. I have found this language to be very usefull in learning and speed.

There are plenty of well-known, free Java libraries which abstract the complicated code to invoke graphics. Seems better if the OP already knows Java.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement