Master Server How to ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rasterman 11 years, 2 months ago
Hi all ,

Gamespy did drop the online DH2005 servers. There are still lots of players they gone very sad becoz of this. No one can see others online servers now.

I have found openspy.org webpage , they host this game server but not working. They have in general webpage and servers problem. I was thinking to host this game on my own server for the users. The thing is I have never done such a thing. What do I need and how do I need to setup this master server on my own host.

I have a shared Linux hosting.

Thank you
Advertisement
Hello,

I wouldn't recommend running a game server on a shared host. It might have really bad performance and if you're out of luck your host will even disallow it.
Have you looked into server colocation, it's quite cheap. I bought a used server on ebay and the monthly rate isn't as high as most suspect. Besides you can put anything you want on it.

Whichever road you decide to go, you do need the server software or reverse engineer it.
If it's public you can probably find linux binaries or even source. Else you are pretty much screwed.

I would recommend to you, to set up your own local linux machine and try to get the server running on this, then you can try to migrate it to the shared host.

Best luck and have fun solving this mystery...

Thanks for your answer. Are you sure that shared Host will take effect on Game play ? Becoz it is only transfering the connected servers ips to the users, thats what I know. Basically a php file gets pinged from a dedicated server that users open , then it holds this data with a regular ping back and transmit this users ip to the players. Users onlygets the ip info and clicks to connect to the other users dedicated server. So no playing in the server.

Okay, if you're only using is as master server then this would probably be no problem at all.

I was thinking you are setting up your own game server and because the master server is offline also run a master server to make it possible to connect to your game.

One more thing, for reverse engineering you could take a look at wireshark. It's an easy to use packet sniffer, you can take a look at what packets the game is sending and then implement the appropriate reply, then take a look at the next request after that and do the same... and so on. I'm guessing if the packets aren't encryted a master server is probably not using any complicated protocol that is impossible to reverse engineer.

Best luck.

-Christoph

The first lobby I did in ASP and runs on IIS. The second lobby I did in C++/enet and runs on a Windows VPS, you can get one for $20/month.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement