"Shield" shader - How to create "bullet effects" and borders?

Started by
4 comments, last by GeniusPooh 11 years, 4 months ago
I've been messing around with creating my own "shield" shader, the basic idea is something like this - which can be seen in planetside 2:
now rendering the basic shield on a mesh is not a problem, the problematic parts come when I want to create the "borders" you can see in the video where the shield touches the building itself. The same borders also appear when say a vehicle or player passes through the shield. Other effects im looking into creating is a "wave/circle" type of effect when a bullet hits the shield for example.

Anyway, I'm not looking for cut n paste shader code, but more for general pointers in the right direction to achieve these effects.
Advertisement

I've been messing around with creating my own "shield" shader, the basic idea is something like this - which can be seen in planetside 2: [media]
[/media] now rendering the basic shield on a mesh is not a problem, the problematic parts come when I want to create the "borders" you can see in the video where the shield touches the building itself. The same borders also appear when say a vehicle or player passes through the shield. Other effects im looking into creating is a "wave/circle" type of effect when a bullet hits the shield for example.

Anyway, I'm not looking for cut n paste shader code, but more for general pointers in the right direction to achieve these effects.

OMG too long video can you capture that specific effect?

I think I can tell you about idea or implementations.

Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones

World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

shieldrn.jpg

This?

Post-process reading framebuffer. Mixing red and the input color, combining transparency from 3D animated Perlin noise (third dimension is time), and modulated by a decal texture for the outpost owner's insignia in the middle. Values read from the back buffer have some simple "sinus noise" kind-of-wiggly offset to texture coordinates applied to give a slight, cheap distortion.

When something passes through, just add a value to the noise value with a little decal there (slowly enlarging for a nicer effect). Or, do something like a "2D water simulation" if you feel like burning 1000x the GPU cycles for 0.001% better looks.

I linked with a time/second mark, but apparently the embedded youtube player didnt pick up on that, no need to be a douche about it.
There's a huge presentation (http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014348/HALO-REACH-Effects) from Halo Reach, where they explain, how they did their shield effects and also a portal effect. It looks quite interesting and may help you.
...no need to be a douche about it.

Excuse me? It is your responsibility to ensure that we have all of the information we need to help you, not ours.

[quote name='GeniusPooh' timestamp='1356011499' post='5012792']
I linked with a time/second mark, but apparently the embedded youtube player didnt pick up on that, no need to be a douche about it.
[/quote]

why you curse at me? I just ask proper frame shot and try to help you hmmm

Beauty is only skin deep , ugly goes to bones

World's only 3D engine tunner and 3D engine guru.

and real genius inventor :) but very kind warm heart .. and having serious depression for suffering in Korea

www.polygonart.co.kr ( currently out dated and only Korean will change to English and new stuff when I get better condition :) sorry for that)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement