Can you fire an employee for being too attractive?

Started by
32 comments, last by Greg Quinn 11 years, 3 months ago

Here's the link.

I sympathize with this guy. I really do. But he shouldn't have been able to fire his assistant. He found her attractive and was having a hard time keeping it in his pants. That's no fault of her own. No matter what she is wearing. I wonder if this will go to the US Supreme Court. I doubt it only because Clarence Thomas wants no part of that action.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
Sounds like Knight's wife is the real culprit here. The article says that nothing sexual actually happened between the Knight and the Nelson - the boss's wife simply demanded that he fire his own employee when she found out that they were communicating, perhaps because she felt threatened by the employee. Knight was likely presented with the choice between keeping the employee and keeping the wife. The judges are right IMO, this isn't gender discrimination, but it is definitely unfortunate and according to the information available in the article, neither Knight nor Nelson really did anything wrong.

Of course, it's hard to tell if the article is leaving anything important out.

wouldn't this be considered wrongful termination?

I agree that it probably wasn't gender discrimination, but it defiantly isn't a valid reason to fire someone imo.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
wouldn't this be considered wrongful termination?

I agree that it probably wasn't gender discrimination, but it defiantly isn't a valid reason to fire someone imo.

From what I understand from the news in OP's link he did not used her attractiveness as reason to fire her. He stated, in his own way, that the work relationship was not healthy anymore.

He doesn't have to say that fired her because she is a woman and attractive. He can simply put that she, as a person, is no longer a good fit for the job.

Programming is an art. Game programming is a masterpiece!
I sympathize with this guy. I really do. But he shouldn't have been able to fire his assistant. He found her attractive and was having a hard time keeping it in his pants. That's no fault of her own. No matter what she is wearing. I wonder if this will go to the US Supreme Court. I doubt it only because Clarence Thomas wants no part of that action.
I dunno. It's not really fair to him to not be able to fire her. He knew if he didn't separate himself from temptation he was putting his marriage and business in jeopardy either by pissing off his wife or causing a harassment suit. It's a crappy situation no doubt, but I don't think it's right to punish someone for taking mature and pre-emptive steps to avoid themselves making mistakes.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1356226999' post='5013542']
but I don't think it's right to punish someone for taking mature and pre-emptive steps to avoid themselves making mistakes.
[/quote]

I don't think he was being mature. His wife caught him making inappropriate texts and pretty much forced him to fire her. Again, I sympathize with the guy. But she was wrongfully fired, IMO.

but I don't think it's right to punish someone for taking mature and pre-emptive steps to avoid themselves making mistakes.

I don't think he was being mature. His wife caught him making inappropriate texts and pretty much forced him to fire her. Again, I sympathize with the guy. But she was wrongfully fired, IMO.
That's like saying a bully's parents forcing him to apologize isn't a good thing because the bully would apologize on his own. Either that or saying the bully continuing to beat up kids on the playground is better than him apologizing at all.

If we lived in a world where people were capable of being able to change themselves in a day, I might be inclined to empathize with her a little more, but as far as I'm concerned he decided, probably with more than a little push from his wife, to separate himself from a situation that put his family and business in jeopardy.
but as far as I'm concerned he decided, probably with more than a little push from his wife, to separate himself from a situation that put his family and business in jeopardy.

It in no way put the business in jeopardy. She had been employed for 10 years and he even stated that she was the best dental assistant he had ever had. It may have been putting his marriage in jeopardy, but that is irreverent in the employer/employee relationship. She was hired to do a job and she did the job well. Firing her is unfair dismissal.
but as far as I'm concerned he decided, probably with more than a little push from his wife, to separate himself from a situation that put his family and business in jeopardy.
It in no way put the business in jeopardy. She had been employed for 10 years and he even stated that she was the best dental assistant he had ever had. It may have been putting his marriage in jeopardy, but that is irreverent in the employer/employee relationship. She was hired to do a job and she did the job well. Firing her is unfair dismissal.[/quote]

That's like saying a bully's parents forcing him to apologize isn't a good thing because the bully would apologize on his own. Either that or saying the bully continuing to beat up kids on the playground is better than him apologizing at all.

No it isn't. And you're arguing something different than what I'm saying. You claimed that he took mature steps. I'm saying he wasn't mature. It wasn't his decision. It was his wife's, for the most part. If he took those steps before his wife caught him and the pastor got involved then I would be more inclined to agree with you. And he isn't a child who doesn't know better. He's a 50 year old man, who knew what he was doing was wrong and made the decision to continue.
If we lived in a world where people were capable of being able to change themselves in a day, I might be inclined to empathize with her a little more, but as far as I'm concerned he decided, probably with more than a little push from his wife, to separate himself from a situation that put his family and business in jeopardy.

Now you're just making excuses for him. I've read 3 articles on the issue and every article says that he was the originator, instigator, and aggressor in this situation. He was saying and texting explicit comments, not her. He put his family and maybe his business in jeopardy, not her. He could have easily kept his loins in check and not have done what he was doing. This is a pure and simple case of passion overriding/overwhelming reason. And it's on the dentist, not her. They've working together for 10 years without incident and now suddenly he has his sex drive, she gets fired.

As I said in the OP, I sympathize with the guy. Sometimes people let their hormones get the best of them. He didn't want ruin his marriage but his loins were telling him something else. But nothing that I've read puts her in the wrong.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement