Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmersckn

Alternative Languages...

I have tried C/C++, Java, Visual DataFlex, QBasic, Liberty Basic, Rapid Q, BlitzBasic (Very Cool), Python, and I think that''s it. I am looking for a language that allows you to easily create a GUI in Windows, with simple file-support. Hopefully an OO language, but not necessary. Also, I would like a language that doesn''t have funky or just plain strange syntax (Eiffel... I just don''t like the pre/post condition stuff...) Oh, I have also tried Euphoria, but didn''t really spend a lot of time with it. Does anyone know of a decent language (for my needs, at least)? Thanks Jake

Visual Basic''s the tool for quick UI, er not sure about the dynamic building from files though, I''m pretty sure you can programatically add stuff I just never have in VB.

WinAmp3 script?

There''s also Tcl/Tk? something like that, it was made on *nix but there''s a port to Win32.

I''ve wanted to try out Phython but haven''t had time. Is it as cool as I''m hoping it is?

I wouldn''t curse anyone with pascal, but Delphi is a viable option :o

Well, three options come to mind.
Borland Builder (uses C++), VB (Just as easy to use, in fact even easier, but less powerfull), and Delphi, I haven''t used it much but I belive that it''s language is based on pascal, it also forms alot of the base of the Borland Builder.

Delphi is great, and it''s based on Object Pascal so if you need some OOP it''s there. GUI building is quite simple and very flexible ()loads of components available). That would be my suggestion.

Python might be a good choice. Its an OO highlevel language, and you can get various GUI toolkits for it(wxWindows and tkInter comes to mind)

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"

Someone already mentioned Visual Basic, which has some of the easiest interface building tools, but if you want something more object oriented, take a look at C# or VB7 (they''re still in beta.) They aren''t quite as efficient as C++, but they''re OO and creating a windows GUI with them is trivially easy.

Python + Qt will let you get a GUI up in 5 seconds. Java too; just use netbeans (www.netbeans.org) for GUI creation. PyQt is available at www.thekompany.com. PHP+Gtk is also a choice.

So you have:
Gtk+ (with PHP)
Qt (with python)
JFC (java)
MFC (visaul basic)

4 GUI toolkits, 4 easy languages with varying RAD capabilities. Pick one.

This is pretty much Linux only but has anyone tried Glade? It builds GTK interfaces and it''s great for getting small stuff done quickly. If you add the GNOME support, you also get standard dialog boxes and wizards. There''s also a libglade , which will read an interface from an XML file and dynamically create it.

OMG farmersckn !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u are a winapp person and u have never looked at VB!?

HOLY MOTHER LKAJSDLKJASDALSKJDLAKSJDASLKDJSALKDJSALKJD

u needa look at VB before you tinker with anymore of that weird $!@# !!

VB can access winapi, so theres really no problem with files and blah blah.

blah blah blah, you need to try VB, and thats the bottom line.

and, despite what many people say, VB isnt all that slow. with the proper (compiler, etc) optimizations, it can be quite speedy.

I''d just like to stress Delphi once again... over VB. I''ve not only found it to be just as easy as VB in the GUI building aspect, but much much more powerful. Not to mention unlike VB it actually compiles to native code and doesn''t need a shit load of runtime libraries, plus with Kylix it''s now available on Linux.

VB is far the best for rapid development. Whoever says, VB isn''t as powerful as any other language is a LIAR. You can do everything with VB, including games, but if you''re designing an APP, specially databases, VB is far the best choice. Whoever says it aint so, will burn!

My company got burned by using VB to develop our app. We have sold a few copies (5, but we don''t make money selling apps, so it doesn''t matter), but the biggest question we got back was:
Do you have a Linux version?

By going with VB which is and always will be Windows exclusive, we cut our sales down because we went with the easy route.

Just recently, I have had to go back and make some adjustments to the source, and VB will crash when I close the program. Bye bye changes. My boss has searched for a long time to find out why, but gave up. But, if the program crashed opening a file (which was the problem) VB would keep the file open so that when I run it again, I can''t access the file that caused the problem, so I would have to shut VB down anyways.

The lead programmer who started the project was a VB only programmer, and like some VB-only coders, his stuff was awful. I run across code that will just make me scratch my head for a few minutes to ponder the logic that came up with this awful code.
It has caused me and my boss to scream "I hate Visual Basic" many times while developing the application. If I have an ulcer, I will name it VB.

If you are developing something small and know it will only ever be used on a Windows system, VB isnt so bad. But if it takes longer than a week to make, you should consider something else. Delphi sounds pretty good, and if you can get it free, great. Or try Java. Its GUI widgets are pretty good, althought the layout managers leave a little something to be desired.

About 2 years ago, I wrote a simple database app for my dad. Took me about 3 days. Nothing fancy, just something to store his patients'' records. Did it in VB first. I had trouble sending him the software as it didn''t fit onto a floppy (needed something like 2).

His computer wasn''t networked, so I couldn''t send it to him via email. Switched to Delphi. Took about a day (okay, that''s because I knew exactly what needed to be done, had my specs all written out together with a rough design). The executable that got distributed was just a meagre 300kb (after going through InnoSetup).

VB? No thanks. Not until they get rid of those ridiculously large MSVBVM60.dll files. Till then, its C++ & Delphi for me.

I was actually a big VB programmer once upon a time (believe it or not). That was until my boss at the time asked me to develop a multimedia front-end for our CD installations. Well that''s all fine and dandy but since VB programs require runtime libraries to be present and registered (in order to run) and not every machine may have them present I had two choices. #1 Write a program (in something other than VB) to check for, install, and register the VB runtime libraries before attempting to run the front-end or #2 Use a language that compiled to true "executable" code rather than VB''s "interpreted" P-Code. I obviously choose path #2 and my language of choice was Delphi. And even though a lot of my everyday development is now in C/C++ I still use Delphi on the job whenever I need a quick GUI interface, a simple tool, or I''m proto-typing a design. Not to mention I use Delphi for a lot of my off hours programming.