• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmersckn

Alternative Languages...

This topic is 6060 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have tried C/C++, Java, Visual DataFlex, QBasic, Liberty Basic, Rapid Q, BlitzBasic (Very Cool), Python, and I think that''s it. I am looking for a language that allows you to easily create a GUI in Windows, with simple file-support. Hopefully an OO language, but not necessary. Also, I would like a language that doesn''t have funky or just plain strange syntax (Eiffel... I just don''t like the pre/post condition stuff...) Oh, I have also tried Euphoria, but didn''t really spend a lot of time with it. Does anyone know of a decent language (for my needs, at least)? Thanks Jake

Advertisement
Visual Basic''s the tool for quick UI, er not sure about the dynamic building from files though, I''m pretty sure you can programatically add stuff I just never have in VB.

WinAmp3 script?

There''s also Tcl/Tk? something like that, it was made on *nix but there''s a port to Win32.

I''ve wanted to try out Phython but haven''t had time. Is it as cool as I''m hoping it is?

I wouldn''t curse anyone with pascal, but Delphi is a viable option :o

Yeah, use delphi!!!
Allows you to create a GUI in 5 seconds....
I once showed someone the sourcecode for a game written in object pascal, and he said: JEZUS CHRIST! Only that much code???

Well, three options come to mind.
Borland Builder (uses C++), VB (Just as easy to use, in fact even easier, but less powerfull), and Delphi, I haven''t used it much but I belive that it''s language is based on pascal, it also forms alot of the base of the Borland Builder.

Delphi is great, and it''s based on Object Pascal so if you need some OOP it''s there. GUI building is quite simple and very flexible ()loads of components available). That would be my suggestion.

Well, SmallTalk is an OO language, and, once you know what you''re doing, it''s easy to create GUI''s for it.

Just a suggestion.

Python might be a good choice. Its an OO highlevel language, and you can get various GUI toolkits for it(wxWindows and tkInter comes to mind)

"A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45"

Someone already mentioned Visual Basic, which has some of the easiest interface building tools, but if you want something more object oriented, take a look at C# or VB7 (they''re still in beta.) They aren''t quite as efficient as C++, but they''re OO and creating a windows GUI with them is trivially easy.

Python + Qt will let you get a GUI up in 5 seconds. Java too; just use netbeans (www.netbeans.org) for GUI creation. PyQt is available at www.thekompany.com. PHP+Gtk is also a choice.

So you have:
Gtk+ (with PHP)
Qt (with python)
JFC (java)
MFC (visaul basic)

4 GUI toolkits, 4 easy languages with varying RAD capabilities. Pick one.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!