Commonly used tags cloud

Started by
6 comments, last by sunandshadow 11 years, 3 months ago
It would be really convenient to have the tags I use most often viewable next to the tag entry box when I am composing a post, and I'd want them to be clickable to add them to the box. smile.png Would anyone else find this useful?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
It would be really convenient to have the tags I use most often viewable next to the tag entry box when I am composing a post, and I'd want them to be clickable to add them to the box. smile.png Would anyone else find this useful?

I would. I think there is a LOT of stuff we can do with tags.. and we're going to be doing that in the immediate future once we get all these upgrade issues sorted out. Tagging content is going to almost need to be one of our site rules for it to be effective.

The biggest thing we're implementing is tag subscriptions. It's not part of the IPS suite but we think it's important enough to do on our own. The basic idea is that you "follow" a tag like you do a forum, blog, post, etc. Then on our frontpage your "Interesting" topics view would show you all the stuff you follow. Each tag would also have it's own section for showing a tag wiki and related posts (think stackoverflow style)

This could almost make any tag into a forum of sorts.

Oh, tag subscriptions sound like fun. People could subscribe to their usernames, and it would emulate a feature I really like on another forum, mention notification. And no one would have to type an @ in front of the name to make it work.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Oh, tag subscriptions sound like fun. People could subscribe to their usernames, and it would emulate a feature I really like on another forum, mention notification. And no one would have to type an @ in front of the name to make it work.

I'm not entirely understanding this idea. Could you elaborate a little?

I'm not entirely understanding this idea. Could you elaborate a little?

Okay, in some forums I could write @Micheal Tanczos in my post and the forum software would process that as a "mention" and you would get a notification that you had been mentioned, and clicking the notification would take you to my post. The problem with that is the @, because people who don't know about it don't use it. Probably the confusing part is that I was assuming that any tag term people had subscribed to would be added to an auto-tagging feature. Example, if I subscribe to "sunsndshadow" then when a new post is made it would be searched for all subscribed tags and if "sunandshadow" was found in the post, it would be added to the post's tags. Or this kind of thing could be done while typing, like Facebook recognized when you start to type someone's username and offers to autocomplete with a link to that person. If there isn't any auto-tagging then subscribing to one's username could work as a direct substitute for mentions, but isn't an improvement on it, because the post writer would still have to specifically tag me.

Wouldn't that require the tagging software to search the entire post when creating the tags? I may be misunderstanding the tagging feature that's being discussed here, but I figured it'd be something kinda like StackOverflow's, where you have a set of tags you explicitly add (rather than them being implicitly derived from your post). Also, on a random side note, I only just realized your username is sunandshadow (always just thought it was sunshadow)...

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

[quote name='sunandshadow' timestamp='1356296952' post='5013763']
People could subscribe to their usernames, and it would emulate a feature I really like on another forum, mention notification.
[/quote]

We don't have exactly the same functionality, but you can get notifications when someone quotes you. The option is in "My Settings" > "Notification Options" under the "Topics & Posts" subsection, and is titled "Notify me when someone quotes my posts (and I'm not already following)", and will notify you using the selected method any time someone quotes one of your posts if you aren't already following the topic in question.

Tag subscriptions unfortunately won't work well as a substitute for "mentions" because a) tagging is per-topic rather than per-post, and b) tags are added manually rather than automatically (for now), so the original poster would have to explicitly add your tag to their topic.

I do like the concept of "mentions", and I've seen it work well in other communities -- particularly where it's common to need to draw the attention of a specific user (often an admin) to certain posts -- but I'm not sure how useful it would actually be in a community as large and diverse as ours, where it's fairly unusual to require the response from any specific user.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Wouldn't that require the tagging software to search the entire post when creating the tags? I may be misunderstanding the tagging feature that's being discussed here, but I figured it'd be something kinda like StackOverflow's, where you have a set of tags you explicitly add (rather than them being implicitly derived from your post). Also, on a random side note, I only just realized your username is sunandshadow (always just thought it was sunshadow)...

Yes that would require the tagging software to search the first post of a new thread when it was submitted. This would not be much different than spell-checking, and should be faster since there would be fewer words in the dictionary of subscribed tags than in a real dictionary. But yeah it would have to wait for some kind of auto-tagging functionality.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement