What display mode do you play PC games in?

Started by
18 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 3 months ago

I forgot the technical details of what happens in Fullscreen but its the mode that forces a minimize if you alt tab from the game oppose to Windows Mode [Fixed] where the game lingers in the background.

Also, would you care if a game only had Windows Mode (borders for resizing) and Windows Mode [Fixed] (fake fullscreen) options?

Advertisement
I would like a mode where it showed the task bar but no borders...<br /><br />I dont like games that go into some haxy fullscreen where i cant exit to desktop without closing the game. And i dont really like waiting 20 seconds every time i want to transition...

o3o

i prefer faked fullscreen if possible, this is mostly because games that do real fullscreen, for whatever reason, tend to have issues with tabbing out and in(I'm looking at you skyrim.)

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
'real' full screen doesn't seem to be the actual issue, but rather how things are handled during the transition in the game. I play more than a few games that appear to be 'real' full screen that are very snappy for transitions. However, most are rather horrid.

Biggest thing that I demand from a game is that it can fill my primary monitor, and trap the mouse to its instance. There are more than a few games out there that will black out the secondary monitor, or allow the mouse to escape if you drag it out the edge to the secondary monitor. (Which REALLY sucks for scrolling around strategy games)

I just wish that more games took advantage of multiple monitors in a graceful way.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Window with border, since it allows me to switch windows, say to the IM program, or the browser (yes you guessed right, I'm too old for ego-shooters, not enough twitch left in me).

If that's not supported, fullscreen window, which is the same as the desktop resolution, i.e. the LCD's native resolution. Nothing else makes sense, really. Non-native resolutions are soooooo damaging to my eyes (and why wouldn't you want to use the pixels that you paid for!).

Fake fullscreen is my preferred mode. I fall back to real fullscreen if my performance is pushing it. Or sometimes go window for slower paced or casual games(so that I can read or youtube while I wait for stuff to happen biggrin.png).

I think that it's perfectly fine to cut support for real fullscreen. So long as you're still supporting multiple resolutions and fake fullscreen/window mode.
I used to have a rather slow system. When I changed to an LCD monitor i was first bothered by the fact that there was
apparent aliasing at resolutions where my CRT showed a crisp image.
(Yeah I know why, but this is still how I felt)
I found that if i then played on a lower resolution with the same aspect ratio,
the cell bleeding artifacts produced something a bit like AA,
So I run with 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080, even though my current system can handle it.
I rarely have alt-tab issues. Morrowind does it without any issues. :D
Fake fullscreen is nice.
I don't use the desktop for anything anyhow, like it clean :)
Does anyone know if there is any performance or latency difference in fake vs real fullscreen?
I could guess you might have a more direct path to the screen in fullscreen, but that might be irrelevant today.

Yeah, superVGA, your CRT did not show a "crisp" image, it showed a blurred image, and its in fact the LCD wich is crisp, and thats why you see the alias :)
So now you turn your game in to low detail so you can blur it, and simulate the blurry CRT image you are used to :P
Real antialias will calculate _more_ details then what you have pixels. Running in low res is nothing like AA, and is only producing an image with less detail and more blur...

Sorry for the rant ;)

Right now I'm a bit sad that Civ 5 is crashing my system in 2560x1440, so I have to run it in 1920x1200... looks horribly blurred :P
Yeah, superVGA, your CRT did not show a "crisp" image, it showed a blurred image, and its in fact the LCD wich is crisp, and thats why you see the alias :)
So now you turn your game in to low detail so you can blur it, and simulate the blurry CRT image you are used to :P
Real antialias will calculate _more_ details then what you have pixels. Running in low res is nothing like AA, and is only producing an image with less detail and more blur...
Sorry for the rant ;)
Well, besides the fact that I'd say a CRT would produce a sharper image in any other cases than the native resolution,
it's not like I disagree. I even stated that the artifacts could double as cheap AA to remove jaggies. But sure, it's not AA and it does produce blurring artifacts on an LCD.

I think the high resolutions we use nowadays are sort of overrated, though.

The only time i like "Windowed Mode" is if the game does not play nice with my LCD's native resolution( 1366x768 ).

If i try to use "1360x768" i get a black border on the top or bottom of the screen after using "Auto Adjust".

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement