Using char as byte problem

Started by
8 comments, last by Waterlimon 11 years, 4 months ago

Hello all!

I am working on a 2D Tile Engine and I am trying to store the whole map in memory. The map is just ID's for tiles. Since my map is 4096*4096 tiles big, I am trying to store an array of 4096*4096 chars. When I try to compile the code that stores the chars, I get this error:

error: cannot convert ‘uint8 (*)[4096] {aka unsigned char (*)[4096]}’ to ‘uint8* {aka unsigned char*}’ in assignment

And here is my code:

//Load all tiles into memory
   m_Tile = new uint8[MAP_WIDTH][MAP_HEIGHT];

//m_Tile is a protected variable in the map class( uint8 *m_Tile; )
//uint8 is type defined as an unsigned char.

Can someone please tell me what is going here? I can do this operation when I define uint8 as an int but not when its a char... :/

EDIT:

Doesn't work with int either.

Advertisement

I think you are assigning a pointer (that is an array) of arrays to a pointer. Notice the different types it says you are converting between?

error: cannot convert ‘uint8 (*)[4096] {aka unsigned char (*)[4096]}’ to ‘uint8* {aka unsigned char*}’ in assignment

From uint8*[] to uint8*.
Or, in another sense*, from uint8[][] to uint8[].

*Not technically accurate, but for illustrative purposes. [] is not identical to *, even if [] can convert to *.

It'd be easiest to just have it as a one-dimensional array that you treat like a 2D array:

m_Tile = new uint8[MAP_WIDTH * MAP_HEIGHT];

m_Tile[(y * MAP_WIDTH) + x] = blah;

[hr]

But why not use a one-dimensional std::vector so the memory is managed for you?

std::vector<uint8> m_Tiles(MAP_WIDTH * MAP_HEIGHT);

uint8 myClass::GetTile(unsigned x, unsigned y)
{
    return this->m_Tiles[(y * MAP_WIDTH) + x];
}

I think you are assigning a pointer (that is an array) of arrays to a pointer. Notice the different types it says you are converting between?

From uint8*[] to uint8*.
Or, in another sense*, from uint8[][] to uint8[].

*Not technically accurate, but for illustrative purposes. [] is not identical to *, even if [] can convert to *.

It'd be easiest to just have it as a one-dimensional array that you treat like a 2D array:

m_Tile = new uint8[MAP_WIDTH * MAP_HEIGHT];

m_Tile[(y * MAP_WIDTH) + x] = blah;

[hr]

But why not use a one-dimensional std::vector so the memory is managed for you?

std::vector<uint8> m_Tiles(MAP_WIDTH * MAP_HEIGHT);

uint8 myClass::GetTile(unsigned x, unsigned y)
{
    return this->m_Tiles[(y * MAP_WIDTH) + x];
}

Ohhh okay thankyou!! It compiles! biggrin.png And I just want to use dynamic memory because it is a bit quicker when I access it every draw call.

But now I have run into another problem, I wrote a program that generates tile IDs in the range of 0 to 1, but it is generating way more than I want. Can anyone tell me why? Here is my function:

//Little program to generate test map with only 0 and 1 tile

#include <iostream>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <fstream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
   ofstream file;
   file.open("default.vmf", ios::trunc);
   for (int j = 0; j < 4096; j++) 
   {
      for (int i = 0; i < 4906; i++) 
      {
         file << rand()%2;
      }
      file << '\n';
   }
   file.close();
   return 0;
}

So the file size should be (4096*4096) + 4096 == 16781312 right? Because I am filling up all the tiles and adding \n at the end of every 4096 tiles. But then after my program runs, the file is 20099072 bytes large. I don't understand what is happening here :/

EDIT: Just saw the problem.. I made a typo, 4906 instead of 4096 :p

4906 != 4096 ;)
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
That's why you shouldn't use magic numbers.<br /><br />const int MAPSIZE = 4096;<br /><br />or something similar.
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Ohhh okay thankyou!! It compiles! biggrin.png And I just want to use dynamic memory because it is a bit quicker when I access it every draw call.

A) Optimizing prematurely causes more pain then it saves. wink.png

B) Unless you are running in debug mode, the speed of std::vector::operator[] should be about identical to a raw pointer's [] subscript operator.

C) If it's not identical, you could get the pointer to vector[0] (.data() in C++11) and treat it as a normal array anyway, but the dynamic memory will still be managed for you safely.

D) The C++ standard library is heavily optimized by the people who wrote the compiler you're using, I think it's rather fast enough. smile.png

To correct myself: if you are using C++11 (the latest version of C++ standardized last year), the correct container would probably be std::array<> or std::vector<>, but you might not have that available yet.

Alright guys now I feel as though I am going about this whole tile based game all wrong. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do to make a top down tile based game? Any good engines out there that are cross OS (linux,win,mac)? I could make my own but I feel as though it would take too much time away from development of the actual game and I would just be reinventing the wheel. Or do you think that I should be trying to make my own TileEngine (never done it before)?

Thanks for all your suggestions so far guys!

-Brent

I just spent 12+ hours overhauling my Tile-System (Thus the new screenshot on my blog :)!).

I had a struct which held the Tiles's type (Which is an Enumeration) and it's position relative to other tiles. I then made a Two-Dimensional vector of the struct which was used for my map. All I have to do now if I am using the system for another project is change the Enumeration's definitions and the images it loads (Very easy!). If you would like to look at the source code you can PM me, however keep in note the system is written in C++ (The system is universally applicable however smile.png!).

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

I wouldn't say writing your own tile engine is going about it the wrong way. It's not so difficult and a good learning experience.

You could take a look at some tile editors though, and see how they store their data. Although I suspect that with that map size, you're planning on random generation.
For my tile engine im going to have a list of tile definitions, so i can ask a tile definition what it looks like given the world and a position (so it can access the tile data and all surroundings etc.)

:3

o3o

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement