Handling Collision?

Started by
3 comments, last by superman3275 11 years, 3 months ago

I've successfully produced a re-usable tool that can load maps from files and display them. (I'm very happy with it because it's reusable, I can use it for future products also! It's only changing the "tile-Type" enumeration in the file and it works!).

Now I'm working on player collision. Do you believe I should simply allow my Collision class to have a pointer to my player (My player holds it's own position) so it can check collision (It will also have a pointer to the map) and let Collision handle everything (Passing any collisions that happen to Physics of course).

Or do you believe I should have my Player class simply being in charge of moving the player (Which entails handling it's SpriteSheet, etc.) and have it update a playerPosition member variable in Collision?

For clarification, Collision, Player, and Physics are all classes.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Advertisement
I don't think the collision class should always have a copy of your player class. Won't your collision class handle collisions between any objects that could collide? Are you concerned with your bullets hitting enemies, or enemies hitting other enemies, or enemies hitting objects within the world? I think simply passing 2 generic Physical Information Objects to the collision class would be better.

Actually, do you need Collision to be an object? It sounds like it's an activity, not an object, and it could be just typical functions.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

That's smart. What I'll do is have a set of Collision and Physics functions that I'll use!

Thanks, I didn't even think of that.

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

I was thinking about this and wanted to throw out another option. You can also provide a function from a super class that all Physical Objects have and it could be used to check if it collides with some other Physical Object. Kind of like this:

class TPhysicalObject { public: TPhysicalObject(Size, Shape, etc.); virtual bool IsColliding(TPhysicalObject& otherObject); // Some other functions... }; class TPlayer : public TPhysicalObject { // Define your Player object here ... }; // In code, you can check if the Player Has collided with other objects for (int i = 0; i < EnemyBulletList.size(); i++) { if (MainPlayer.IsColliding(EnemyBulletList) { // Do whatever if player collides with enemy bullet } } // Do the same thing with enemy objects and our bullets, etc

I'm not saying one way is better than the other, but it's another option, but it's certainly better than having a Collision Object itself.

Good luck.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Thanks, I believe I'll stick with having global functions however. Maybe I'll try using inheritance in my next game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement