Can anyone help me list specific 2D fx tutorials for 2D Action/RPG game during battle?

Started by
1 comment, last by mychii 11 years, 3 months ago

Hi,

I am desperately trying to find 2D fx tutorials specifically for 2D Action/RPG game during battle. I need to find any techniques possible from basic to advanced regarding to the issue (from drawing, animating, and architecture/production techniques).

The expected results I am chasing is near to these games on video as reference:

Tales of Destiny 2, the skills (they call it mystic arte/hi ougi):

">

Muramasa Demon Blade, the post blade swing effects:

">

I found one technique from Youtube which is quite time saving and efficient that could be an example reference tutorial I'm trying to find, like this:

">

I ask this because I know what I am trying to reach out, but I don't know what its called and which community I have to dive in to find these. As a result, I keep searching on 2D fx but always comes up to 3D effects that are far from what I expected. Luckily I can finally find one above, one of many.

So I hope I could find references from experts who already experience in having these kind of tutorials. :)

Thanks!

Advertisement

I'd search "fx sprites" or "fx spritesheet" because that should get you all 2d ones. Also if you have a video of an effect happening in a game it's pretty easy to run that section of video through a program that auto-splits it into frames. Sorry I don't have a specific tutorial to suggest; fx are kind of a mix of three different art techniques: being able to illustrate fire or water or whatever kind of energy is causing the effect, drawing that in some kind of geometric shape appropriate to the effect, then animating that.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I'd search "fx sprites" or "fx spritesheet" because that should get you all 2d ones. Also if you have a video of an effect happening in a game it's pretty easy to run that section of video through a program that auto-splits it into frames. Sorry I don't have a specific tutorial to suggest; fx are kind of a mix of three different art techniques: being able to illustrate fire or water or whatever kind of energy is causing the effect, drawing that in some kind of geometric shape appropriate to the effect, then animating that.

Thanks sunandshadow! that could be a nice start for me, I forgot that term sprite/spritesheet is included as well.. tried texture yet it goes to 3d texture techniques.

I need some the fx to be done programmatically because the effects would interact directly to the entities (for example, a small rotating ring of fireballs that explodes in horizontal direction that each ball causing damage/effect to collided entities), so as you reckon maybe I could auto-split frames on each fire ball in this example. On such situation I agree with you that fx is a mix of 3 different art techniques; it helps me define the steps required.

Thanks for the explanation and suggestions!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement