What to do if I want to develop 3D games with OpenGL?

Started by
5 comments, last by Dwarf King 11 years, 3 months ago
At first, sorry for my poor English.
I know my title is kind of broad, but I could't find a better one.
Let me tell you my situation.
I'm a Chinese high school student, grade 3.
Usually, a student in China gets an admission from university by participating the College Entrance Examination, but I took part in the National Olympiad in Informatics so that I get an admission ahead of time.
So, you know that now I have enough time to do what I like.
My programming ability is not bad, but that is only restricted in solving pure math problems, I don't have any experience on software project or other projects.
I like game and I want to develop independent game, I am reading OpenGL Programming Guide now.
Could any one give me some advice for the first step? I know game development is not a easy thing and include not only programming, but I just want to do them all myself! Thanks very much!
Advertisement

You might wanna have a look at this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginning-OpenGL-Game-Programming-Second/dp/159863528X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1356441528&sr=1-1 for a start biggrin.png

Merry Christmas

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

if you want to develop a game now, i highly recommend using an existing game engine such as unity, if you want to spend anywhere from 3-12 months(since it sounds like you have a strong background in mathmatics, it'll probably be a bit easier going to understand the concepts) learning the underlying graphic api's, and their behaviors, then proceed to make a game. dive right in=-)

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

it depends on what you want to do.

If you want to develop a game, I too would recommend using an existing engine, it´s much easier (and possibly better looking too, better performance...)

You will have much more time to focus on programming the real gameplay-features.

But if you want to develop a game just for the sake of developing, this book really is a good starting point.

You´ll get good insight in how game graphics are made for example, but it will take quite long if you want good looking results with good gameplay.

Your choice

but I just want to do them all myself! Thanks very much!

This is a very refreshing attitude and means that your games will still be maintainable and expandable once engines such as Unity have disappeared in a few years or so.

Since you have a good knowledge of maths, you will be able to tackle OpenGL well (and may actually find it simpler than premade game making tools since you will be fighting with it less).

So I guess just keep at the OpenGL Programming books and start making some simple games :)

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Thank above good men very much!

I think programming from zero is my way.

Maybe Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is a good choice.

Thank above good men very much!

I think programming from zero is my way.

Maybe Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is a good choice.

Great to hear biggrin.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement