2D tile map editor with binary output

Started by
4 comments, last by Digivance 11 years, 3 months ago

Hi! I've been working on a tile map system for my 2D games (using SFML). The system assumes there will be only 255x255 possible tiles, with 256,256 reserved for a blank/transparent space (useful for layering), as well as any special binary file characters (like EOF).

I'd rather not implement a tile map editor myself as it is just reinventing the wheel.

Is there a free, Linux-compatible tile map editor that I can make output the data how I want it to be outputted? In this case that means one file with a 1D array of two chars per tile. I want to be able to load the file with the least amount of interpretation code possible.

Am I better off just making my own simple editor?

Want to get to know my work and I better? See my website: Au 79 Games

I wrote General Tips on the Process of Solo Game Development

Advertisement

Never mind, I found this thread that answered my question.

If you can't find a tile editor that has the exact map format you want, you can always use the editor anyway and make a command-line tool to convert the maps for you.

Ooh. Nice link. I always used SotL's method. I never thought to shop around for one.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I just spent a few hours wading through the code for a Tiled map parser. Let's just say I decided to roll my own editor.

This isn't completely bad; I do get the experience and something that works dynamically in game.

If your project isn't on a rushed deadline I would always suggest building your own custom tile editor. It's good practice and gives you a little better core understanding of the collision and positioning systems that your using. If nothing else your editor should be easier for your developers as it would cater directly to the project it's intended for.

Dan Mayor

Professional Programmer & Hobbyist Game Developer

Seeking team for indie development opportunities, see my classifieds post

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement