Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
makuto

2D tile map editor with binary output

5 posts in this topic

Hi! I've been working on a tile map system for my 2D games (using SFML). The system assumes there will be only 255x255 possible tiles, with 256,256 reserved for a blank/transparent space (useful for layering), as well as any special binary file characters (like EOF).

I'd rather not implement a tile map editor myself as it is just reinventing the wheel.

Is there a free, Linux-compatible tile map editor that I can make output the data how I want it to be outputted? In this case that means one file with a 1D array of two chars per tile. I want to be able to load the file with the least amount of interpretation code possible.

Am I better off just making my own simple editor?

If you can't find a tile editor that has the exact map format you want, you can always use the editor anyway and make a command-line tool to convert the maps for you.

I just spent a few hours wading through the code for a Tiled map parser. Let's just say I decided to roll my own editor.

This isn't completely bad; I do get the experience and something that works dynamically in game.

If your project isn't on a rushed deadline I would always suggest building your own custom tile editor.  It's good practice and gives you a little better core understanding of the collision and positioning systems that your using.  If nothing else your editor should be easier for your developers as it would cater directly to the project it's intended for.