• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
melbow

Advanced Render Queue API

This topic is 2100 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Thanks for replying Noizex. You gave some great input. I was wondering if you perform any batching of your Render Tasks and if so, how? I don't see any place for attributes that aren't in your VAO.

Thanks for replying Noizex. You gave some great input. I was wondering if you perform any batching of your Render Tasks and if so, how? I don't see any place for attributes that aren't in your VAO.

I don't batch them really, I have plan to draw some objects with instancing (not sure yet if I will just submit 1 RenderTask that has additional info for instanced drawing, or many RenderTasks and somehow determine they should be instanced and collapsed to 1 draw call in the renderer). I batch things before I submit RenderTask too because often its very specific for the thing thats drawn. 

Whole thing is so flexible that I don't optimize too much yet (like batching everything) because its more convenient to have 1 VAO per single objec and just draw it with 1 draw call per object. If I ever run into draw call problem I can batch them just modifying how tasks are processed by renderer. I will for sure batch things like foliage / grass / particles and other things that otherwise would waste too many draw calls, but for normal objects / terrain I don't really want to optimize that yet, unless I see that I end up with too many calls from this.

Hodgman, are your states then inheritted from a State base class? If not, how do you determine how to set the state the correct way? I would think you would want to avoid the overhead of virtual functions on something so low level on the engine.

So, for this particular case (renderer commands), I implemented a vtable-type system myself, where every different command class shares the same "vtable" -- this means that if I execute 100 commands in a row (from a pre-prepared command buffer), then the first one will generate a cache-miss when reading this "vtable", but the following commands are less likely to cause the same cache-miss.

So if everything is a command, do you batch ahead of time like Noizex? Say for example, geometry instancing, how would you collect each instance for creation of the commands? And thanks for such a good example. You've helped clarify a ton already :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!