Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phreak85

NeHe tutorials..

phreak85    122
Hello, I was wondering how much experience with C++ is required before starting with the tutorials at nehe. I have never before used OpenGL in C++, nor have I programmed anything but calculators in C++. Aslo, how much math is REALLY involved when programming 3D (OpenGL)? And what kind of math? All yours phreak

Vendayan    278
In righting 3D games, knoledge of C++ isnt the most important thing, although it is extremely nessesary. If you can understand classes and pointers to thier fullest extent, and you have a decent knowledge of windows programming techniques, such as multithreading, you can do the coding.

The hardest part is the geometry of it, you must understand that everything is made of points and textures, and that its nt enough just to know where everything is going o be placed in the world. You also have to know enough about the matrices to transform your world into the view projection, where it shrinks objects that are farther away so that they look smaller, and other transformations that rotate and move your world around the camera''s position and orientation, because it is always easiest (and usually nessesary) to work with objects this way.

Hope this helped
~Vendayan

mrbastard    1577
OK, I agree with Vendayan in that he has listed some of the knowledge necessary to write 3D software, BUT you definately do not need all of those skills in order to start the nehe tuts. The whole point of nehe''s tuts is that they start simple and help you get used to the harder bits over time.

IMO all you need to start the nehe tuts is the following: reasonable knowledge of C (nehe''s tuts are not object oriented), eg enough so you won''t be put off by Types you haven''t seen before (which is the main thing that puts beginners off in my experience), reasonable knowledge of your compiler/IDE (though nehe makes it easy if you use VC++), knowledge of cartesian coordinates and (very) basic vector math.

Think thats about it. Overall don''t be put off - all the info is out there and is fairly easy to understand. Once you''ve started the tuts it just gets easier, because you have something tangable to work towards, and the rewards get higher the more you understand.

Good Luck, Dan