Allegro

Started by
11 comments, last by ggsam 22 years, 5 months ago
Directx and opengl are free to. And I agree that allegro is a good library, but thats what it is its a lib for gamedevelopement. I prefere understanding the why and how behind the lib vs just the how to use the lib. And for atleast the why behind allegro is Directx for a large part of it. Either way use what you want I just like to encourage actully learning the technology behind what your useing.

Edited by - zenroth on October 19, 2001 3:57:26 PM
Advertisement
i guess i should''v said free and small (as in file size)...

DirectX is free, but MSVC++ is rather expensive (unless your into Warez)
and i had no idea that opengl was free... cool...

The main problem i have with directx is that the file size is so darn big to download... you can probably buy a CD with it on it or something, but I can''t afford that (no income is a bummer)...

I found allegro easy to learn, but then again, i havent found the week and a half to download the stupid SDK (i have dial-up at home).

True, learning what''s going with your programs (behind the scenes) is a good idea, if your just interested in making a stupid pong game or something to test, then i would suggest Allegro.

DirectX / OpenGL are good to know, because i imagine that most game development companies use those (and i doubt any REAL companies use Allegro, although i will probably be proven wrong in a few replies)...

But, i dont mean to say any one is better, its either better capabilities, or smaller file size... whichever you prefer...

__
Tsu
Yeah downloading the sdk is a pain on dialup ive only had to do it 3 times takes like 2 days. As far as Vc++ goes yeah unless you warez it or you get lucky on a cheap copy on ebay(got a 4.0 version for 10$ a while back) your kinda out of luck. But the cool thing is directx works with borlands free compiler and also dev c++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement