• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Servant of the Lord

Unity
A Proposal to Add Strong Type Aliases to the Standard Language

29 posts in this topic

Also, you can't do that with primitive types.

You could always write a "boxed type" template class that encapsulates a primitive type, while supporting the same operators the primitive type does. So, essentially reinventing Java's "boxed types" in C++ using templates. I'm not in a position to say whether that would be worth the effort, though. My guess would be that it isn't. Edited by Oberon_Command

You could always write a "boxed type" template class that encapsulates a primitive type, while supporting the same operators the primitive type does. So, essentially reinventing Java's "boxed types" in C++ using templates. I'm not in a position to say whether that would be worth the effort, though. My guess would be that it isn't.
I have one of those in my engine, which acts like the type (operator wise), but with an explicit constructor from that type.
e.g. short version:
template<class T, class Tag> struct P
{
	P() : value() {}
	explicit P( T v ) : value(v) {}
	T value;
};
struct MetreTag {};
struct InchTag {};
typedef P<float, MetreTag> Metre;
typedef P<float, InchTag> Inch;
And then I write conversion functions like:
Inch ToInches(Metre m) { return Inch(m.value * 39.3700787f); }
void test()
{
	Metre m(10);
	Inch i( ToInches(m) );
	Inch error( m );//won't compile
}
I haven't used the boost solution, but I imagine it's similar to this, so I probably suffer from the same issues that SOTL found with boost's version. Edited by Hodgman

Your version looks great for basic types (which mine doesn't support), but doesn't support classes (which mine does).

Most of my strong aliases have to do with a basic 'Point' type.

I could write a template just for points, but I figured in such a strongly-typed language as C++, why not have a generalized solution built into the language?

We did so for enums with the C++11 'enum class'.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By ilovegames
      The boy and the Golem were friends for a long time, and have traveled together.
      In search of the boy's father, they go to where he grew up, places now devastated by war.

The player can at any time switch the characters and manage to solve a specific task.
      The boy is small and weak but is clever and an archer.
      Golem is big and strong, but slow, and prefers melees.

The game includes the boom (required for archery) and apples (to restore his health). Golem Health is restored automatically. On the way our characters will encounter enemies and locked doors, and to open the door you must activate rock platforms nearby (decorated with blue stones that are activated by Golem from on the ground, and green that are activated from an arrow launched by the boy). Some doors will open only with simultaneous activation of a few (two or three) different types of stone platforms.

Controls:

Movement - W, A, S, D
      Switch character - Tab
      Direction of impact \ shot - mouse (cursor position)
      Attack:
      Golem - LMB
      Boy - When sandwiched RMB (Aim), press the LMB, for a shot
      Jump - Space

TheBoyAndTheGolemSetup.exe
    • By KaiZerg
      Dear Colleagues,
      Can you please advise on the issue below:
      I have got several Folders(paper), to keep cheat sheets, practical guides, Lists of sequences ect.
      What is the best way to separate Folders?
      1)
      -Unity all
      -Unreal Engine all
      2)
      -Game art
      -Game Design
      -Game Engine
      -Game Programming

• By suerozcelik
      Hi everyone, My name is Arda Süer, i’m a game developer and producer of Pocket Universe : Create Your Community. Pocket Universe is on pre-order and soon the early access to Steam. I need your help and I want to introduce you to my game. Please read the game story and website content etc. If you have any suggestions tell us and we can develop. Example:"Story is good but you need more faction","You need add bla,bla to the game". Anyway I will put links here to help you to understand Pocket Universe. Story : http://www.pocketuniversegame.com/?page_id=7 Features : http://www.pocketuniversegame.com/?page_id=180 Factions : http://www.pocketuniversegame.com/?page_id=54 Press Release : http://www.pocketuniversegame.com/?page_id=237 If you want to help more, please buy my game Kinguin : https://www.kinguin.net/category/38680/pocket-universe-create-your-community-pre-order-steam-cd-key/ G2A : https://www.g2a.com/pocket-universe-create-your-community-steam-key-global-i10000070716001 Press Relase.rtf
    • By NA-45
      I'm currently working on Metroidvania style game that I was inspired to start by Hollow Knight and Beksiński's art.

It's built in Unity using C# and has quite a bit done already.  I'm handling the programming myself and have a working model (besides combat which is a WIP) that can be expanded greatly depending on where we decide to take the project.  You can see the current test area here: https://streamable.com/mp5o8  Since I'm not artistically gifted, its all rectangles but can easily be skinned once we've desired on designs.
      I have professional experience using Unity and C# working on both a released game and a prototype as well as having extensive Java knowledge.  I also dabble in Python with a little bit of C++.
      I have worked on and completed many projects before, the most recent being a 2D stick fighting game written ground up in Java Swing (don't ask why): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Bkoyp_f0o
      I'm looking for a 2D artist (potentially more than one) to create concept and game art and a designer/writer who can help flesh out the story as well as map out and create challenging and eye catching areas.  I can handle most if not all of the programming side of things though if there is anyone who is extremely passionate about this sort of thing, I'd consider splitting the load.
      The end goal is a completed game that can be sold however profit isn't really a concern to me as it's mostly a labor of love from my part.  Any profits would be split between team members however that's pretty far off so don't make that a reason to join.

He discovers a temple with text above a closed gate that tells of the failed kingdom that lies below.  After finding a way around this, he drops down into the subterranean kingdom.  Adventuring through the labrynth below, he comes across different cities in which the residents succumbed to different sins such as Greed, Wrath, etc.  Each city tells a story of how its fixation on something lead to their demise leading up to a fight with the personification of their mistake.
       - To enter you must be wearing a pair of glasses that you find somewhere earlier in the ruins.  There are similar glasses found in every home.  Everything appears incredibly beautiful however something seems wrong.  After triggering some event, the glasses break and it's revealed that the glasses are made of some sort of stone that makes everything appear differently.  The city is in ruins and absolutely disgusting as everything was neglected.  
       - The only thing that remains intact is in the center of the city, an incredible statue of a goddess holding up a large sphere of the same material that was used for the glass.  You slowly learn the story behind the statue: the goddess came from the sea that the city lies on and brought prosperity to them.  
       - After opening up the the temple of the goddess that lies right on the edge of the waters, a giant sheet of the glass covers an opening in the back of the temple that reveals the goddess behind it.  You shatter the glass and it becomes apparent that the goddess is actually a disgusting creature half beached and mostly immobile that appears to secrete the material that makes up the glass. Fight ensues.
       - Pressing the cast button will cast a spell determined by the 2 orbs that are selected
       - Spells cost mana however you can use spells with 0 mana and it will cost health instead
       - These spells in addition to being useful for combat, are the Metroidvania "gating" metchanic.  For instance, one of the conceptualized spells is a water orb + water orb to create a ice pillar that can be either used to block projectiles/enemy paths or to jump on to reach high areas
      If you're interested or have any questions, contact me through discord.  My id is NA-45#3692. 

• By Qwertyman
      My game (built on the Unity platform, making use of EZ GUI) requires players to log into Facebook. However, when the player is using a language other than English on Facebook, I'm unable to display the localized Username (which is the same as the FB Username) within the game. Any ideas on how this can be tackled?
      PS: Detecting the OS language doesn't really help here because, for all you know, the player might be using one language for the OS, but another one for their Facebook, so.... 
      TIA!
  • Popular Now