SFML troubles

Started by
11 comments, last by BCullis 11 years, 3 months ago

Hey everyone, happy holidays!

First off, I'm sort of a beginner in programming, but since I got bored of the usual high school assignments of reading and writing to text files, I decided to try my luck with sfml, but I run into a problem which I guess is not that common (couldn't find the answer on the internet). So the solution was obvious, I decided to ask a question on the forum I am always stalking :)

The problem:

After compiling the code and running it, I only get an empty console window and nothing else (i copied the code from the sfml website, which is supposed to output a green circle in a new window). I tried marking lines with the great red dot, but when debugging it doesn't let me jump to other lines, seems like the program itself is just stuck. I am using visual studio 11, I get the same thing while using visual c++ 2010 though.

Looking forward to your replies

Advertisement

Resolved, please close this :)

Can you share your solution? It may be helpful to those having similar problems.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

The problem was myself, I was so anxious to get going and didn't wait the 30 seconds the program needed to open a window(for me at least), i guess this was a little unexpected since i came from doing very small stuff that loads instantly.

Why does it take 30 seconds to open the window? Are you loading a bunch of stuff and doing a lot of work first?

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I don't know why it takes that long, I'm not really loading that much(i assume that you mean there's a lot of code or objects being created, correct me if I misunderstood you).

Just curious about what's going on prior to the ShowWindow() call. I don't know how you're implementing anything, but that seems like a long time to get a window open.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

My linker always screws up with SFML, so I have to re-install my IDE

blech..

I think we'd be interested in seeing the code you have because it does seem really odd it'd take 30 seconds for a window to show up just to do what you are doing.

Could you please post your code to the issue you had because, even though you solved that one another issue might have presented itself (a general rule of thumb in the ever-progressing world of coding).

It is interesting as it only ever takes me a couple of seconds (max) from Console to Main window. I am curious to the specs of your machine also, if you wouldn't mind providing this?

Another thing: did you use the basic "Get a window to show" tutorial provided on the official website, or use the API without reference?

Regards,

Stitchs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement