• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AgentC

asSFuncPtr executable size optimization

This topic is 2146 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For my personal use (Urho3D engine) I've done some modifications to AngelScript, some of which are dubious, but here's something that shouldn't be much destructive to performance, but reduce the executable size, possibly even by a hundred KB or so, if there's a lot of classes & functions being registered.

It has to do with the template functions for initializing asSFuncPtr's. While the original template code memclear's the function pointer object (which is possibly also inlined), and then sets the flag member variable according to whether it's a function or method

// Specialization for functions using the generic calling convention
template<>
inline asSFuncPtr asFunctionPtr<asGENFUNC_t>(asGENFUNC_t func)
{
    asSFuncPtr p;
    asMemClear(&p, sizeof(p));
    p.ptr.f.func = reinterpret_cast<asFUNCTION_t>(func);

// Mark this as a generic function
    p.flag = 1;

return p;
}

I've created a non-inline constructor for asSFuncPtr, which does the memclear and sets the flag

asSFuncPtr::asSFuncPtr(asBYTE f)
{
    asMemClear(this, sizeof(asSFuncPtr));
    flag = f;
}

By using that, the template functions become shortened and should consume less memory:

// Specialization for functions using the generic calling convention
template<>
inline asSFuncPtr asFunctionPtr<asGENFUNC_t>(asGENFUNC_t func)
{
    asSFuncPtr p(1);
    p.ptr.f.func = reinterpret_cast<asFUNCTION_t>(func);

return p;
}

Advertisement

I've checked in the changes in revision 1527.

In my regression test suite this change reduced the size of the executable with 57KB.

Regards,

Andreas

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!