• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ISDCaptain01

How come many of you prefer to make games from scratch rather than use an engine?

This topic is 2054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So my main question is that why alot of you use API/libraries like directx/opengl/sfml/allegro/sdl/xna and etc to make games rather than use an engine like unity/udk/troque? Doest using an engine make game dev a lot more streamlined and easier than using an api? What are your reasons?

Advertisement

It really depends on what you like to do.

If you like to design a game and want a finished product, go ahead and use an engine.

In my case, what I really like is to code. When you code from scratch, from time to time, challenges appear that you were not expecting. It's an awesome feeling when you get over those problems (and you usually learn a lot).

Sure, the game might look like crap, but I don't really care as far as I had fun doing it and learned something in the process. smile.png

(Note: This might not apply if you are working in a professional environment tongue.png )

NIH

I'm super angry that I have to use stuff like DirectX and FMOD. I'd prefer ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

lol

No, my reasoning is pretty much identical to JD557's.

I enjoy coding. It's fun and a passion. I understand you still must code when using a game engine, however it's generally very high level and a lot more simple than code I would write when I'm developing without an engine.

If I start making Three-Dimensional games and I need to push out a large product quickly with a team, of course I will use Unity, however I work alone (As of now) and am making Two-Dimensional Games. As I've detailed in other posts of mine, I actually use Construct Two for prototyping. It's easy to drag and drop some placeholder art, write some quick HTML5 / JavaScript, and make a small prototype for a game Mechanic. If it's fun, I'll try to go ahead and program the game myself.

Learning how to program using a Game Engine doesn't seem very good to me (Unless you're an artist). Many programmers I've seen who learned to code with an engine write painfully slow and pointless code. I learned how to use C++, and waited a year before jumping into Graphics. I'm still learning different quirks surrounding the language and exploring C++11, however the experience I gained from learning a language and not an API / Engine is helpful and an underlying reason why I enjoy programming. I understand peoples code, and it's an amazing feeling. Actually being a coder makes me feel accomplished, and every time I spend a few days working on a problem / fixing a problem, I get an amazing sense of accomplishment.

The community for many Game Engines reflects many of my points. On the Unity forums, far too many (Even the well respected) of the programmers learned with Unity, and as a result, are not as helpful had it been a low-level programmer who had joined one of the teams on the forums. They don't normally write efficient code, and don't understand what their code does besides what they know from Unity. This isn't helped by the fact that the forums are barraged with teenagers trying to recruit actual game developers for their new "Zombie-MMO-DayZ however Better-FPS". I'd say about half of the community is twelve year old's. I should link you to a post (Albeit old) from a group of twelve year old's who had promised their school they would make an MMO (bigger than World-Of-Warcraft) and were looking for a team to make the MMO for them.

I respect the developers on the Unity Asset Store however. They are some of the most hard-working programmers I've seen and they make amazing software. It's no wonder that many of them work as programmers at larger studios (I've seen some from the likes of Electronic-Arts) or use lower-level API's.

I believe using an Engine is smart if you understand how the Engine works. This is the main reason why I'm learning OpenGL. I want to understand. I constantly read about Security (Security+), New programming languages, design patterns, practices, Books on new languages (and current languages). Understanding is important to me. I felt a feeling of "This is all to big for me to understand" when I started. There's just so much, it's hard to sort through it all.

Wow, that was a rant tongue.png! Cheers :)!

couple of years ago , at the beginning of our current project we did experiment with Unity. At the beginning we were all happy, the artists were happy because they had their nice environment to work with shaders, illumination and what not, I was happy looking forward to a relaxing development year full with lots of vacations and no graphics programming involved.

After a couple of months, the pretty picture started to fall apart.. loading time went biblical (>60 seconds), shadow quality wasn't good enough and untweakable for our needs, the entire working pipeline was VERY different (I wouldn't say bad.. but way different) from what we were used to, motion blur was more like LSD-acid effect. Luckily I had a DX11 pet engine that I was working on for fun and one sunday, for fun I imported the track and car we were developing as example in, and got the thing loaded in 7 seconds with the shadows just as I needed... after a couple of meeting with the entire team, Unity was out of the window, and my holidays were canceled tongue.png

I look forward to the day I will be able to pick up an engine and be able to use it for my work.. it is the proper, sane and smart thing to do. Sadly, for the moment, we're not there yet for the kind of projects I do. But, if I were to start a new project tomorrow, my first move would be to check out a 3rd party engine first and evaluate if that could be of any use.

I use directx on top of win32 and that is because I just want to learn things. So I'm making my own engine atm. But if I would in the situation, that I just want to ship some "little" game for mobile or tablet to market, I think I would use an engine. Would save a lot of time.

Awhile ago I read a little column, that many of finnish game companies are using Unity at the moment because they can concentrate more on developing contents of the game rather than adjusting the engine. And they are choosing Unity because it's quite easy to use. I also used Unity engine when we made networking game project in our school and it's really easy to use. Quite many finnish game companies, which are perhaps start-up companies or beginning companies have some nice idea so they just want that idea as fast as possible to market. Developing an engine would cost money and they couldn't concentrate on the original idea hence they have to develope the engine for it. But that's not what everybody does, but it seems that majority though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!