Debugging 3DSMax Plugins

Started by
2 comments, last by jamesleighe 11 years, 3 months ago
3DSMax 2012 & MSVC

For whatever reason visual studio does not detect that my plugin is loaded or hit breakpoints when I attach despite the fact that the plugin extension shows up in the export list and it says its loaded in the plugin manager.

What's the trick to debugging max plugins with visual studio? Because somewhere during the export it's crashing and it would be nice to be able to debug it.

Thanks guys
Advertisement

For whatever reason, I've never had luck attaching with a debugger to debug our plugin after Max is running. Instead, I always launch Max from the debugger, and that works fine. If you've never done this: you can open any EXE using the 'Open Project' dialog in Visual Studio (so just pick 3dsmax.exe), then when you choose 'Start Debugging' it will launch the program with the debugger already attached. HTH!

Yeah, I just run the hybrid solution with 3dsmax.exe as the command line and everything works fine for me. Most of the time ;) Good luck, the 3ds Max documentation is awful...
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Wow, that works for some reason!

Thanks allot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement