Checking d3d caps, best approach?

Started by
15 comments, last by cozzie 11 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, that makes things clear on how to use multimaps.

I'll go play around with it.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is how I can make a link from the 'fírst' values, say PresentationsIntervals, to the real checking of the caps.

Example:

D3DCAPS9 caps;

GetDeviceCaps(&caps).

Before multimap:

if(!(caps.PresentationIntervals & D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_TWO)) return false;

With multimap, I don't know how to link the 'caps' var with the member which is in the multimap:

if(!caps.iter->first & iter->lsecond)) return false;

The "caps.iter->first" will logically not compile..

Tried this to confirm/ test:

std::string test = "MaxAnisotropy";

if(mCaps.test & 4) return false;

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Advertisement

Can you try using some other conditional approach than this one :

if(!(caps.PresentationIntervals & D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_TWO))

You're trying to design around your code, which is wrong. You should always code around your design.

This feels like tutoring smile.png

(and is really appreciated)

I'll go think about it and come back with a solution

I believe I'm getting there, got it all working now, but probably not optimal yet.

The part where I go through the loops for checking each group of 'caps', just feels like it's possible to do it more efficient.

To be honest, code is not cleaner then when I filled the multimap with the references to the Caps var, but definitely this brings a lot more flexibility, also for future use.

What do you think?

Here are the 2 resulting functions:

/**************************************************************************************/
/***						SET REQUIRED DEVICE CAPS								***/
/*** ==> usage: during initalization, before creating d3d device and loading scene	***/
/*** ==> fill mReqCapsTable with all caps needed for existing functionality			***/
/**************************************************************************************/

void CD3d::SetRequiredDeviceCaps()
{
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_DRAWPRIMTLVERTEX));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_HWRASTERIZATION));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_TLVERTEXSYSTEMMEMORY));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_TLVERTEXVIDEOMEMORY));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_EXECUTESYSTEMMEMORY));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_EXECUTEVIDEOMEMORY));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("DevCaps",					D3DDEVCAPS_TEXTUREVIDEOMEMORY));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("RasterCaps",				D3DPRASTERCAPS_ANISOTROPY));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("RasterCaps",				D3DPRASTERCAPS_DITHER));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("RasterCaps",				D3DPRASTERCAPS_ZTEST));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PrimitiveMiscCaps",		D3DPMISCCAPS_CULLNONE));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PrimitiveMiscCaps",		D3DPMISCCAPS_CULLCW));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PrimitiveMiscCaps",		D3DPMISCCAPS_CULLCCW));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PrimitiveMiscCaps",		D3DPMISCCAPS_BLENDOP));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PresentationIntervals",	D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PresentationIntervals",	D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_TWO));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("PresentationIntervals",	D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE));

mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("VertexTextureFilterCaps",	D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MAGFLINEAR));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("VertexTextureFilterCaps",	D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MINFLINEAR));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("VertexTextureFilterCaps",	D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MIPFLINEAR));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("VertexTextureFilterCaps",	D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MINFANISOTROPIC));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureCaps",				D3DPTEXTURECAPS_MIPMAP));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureCaps",				D3DPTEXTURECAPS_ALPHA));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureAddressCaps",		D3DPTADDRESSCAPS_BORDER));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureAddressCaps",		D3DPTADDRESSCAPS_CLAMP));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureAddressCaps",		D3DPTADDRESSCAPS_WRAP));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureAddressCaps",		D3DPTADDRESSCAPS_INDEPENDENTUV));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("TextureAddressCaps",		D3DPTADDRESSCAPS_MIRROR));

mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("ShadeCaps",				D3DPSHADECAPS_ALPHAGOURAUDBLEND));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("ShadeCaps",				D3DPSHADECAPS_SPECULARGOURAUDRGB));
	mReqCapsTable.insert(std::make_pair("ShadeCaps",				D3DPSHADECAPS_COLORGOURAUDRGB));
}

/***						CHECK DEVICE CAPS										***/
/*** ==> usage: during initalization, before creating d3d device and loading scene	***/
/*** ==> check if device meets required caps for current functionality				***/

bool CD3d::CheckDeviceCaps()
{
	if(mD3d != NULL)
	{
		if(D3D_OK != mD3d->GetDeviceCaps(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, mDevType, &mCaps)) return false;
		std::pair<CapsTable::iterator, CapsTable::iterator> range;

range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("DevCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.DevCaps & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("RasterCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.RasterCaps & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("PrimitiveeMiscCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.PrimitiveMiscCaps & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("PresentationIntervals");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.PresentationIntervals & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("VertexTextureFilterCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.VertexTextureFilterCaps & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("TextureCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.TextureCaps & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("TextureAddressCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.TextureAddressCaps & it->second)) return false;
		range = mReqCapsTable.equal_range("ShadeCaps");
		for(CapsTable::iterator it=range.first;it!=range.second;++it) if(!(mCaps.ShadeCaps & it->second)) return false;

if(D3D_OK != mD3d->CheckDeviceFormat(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, mDevType, mAdapterFormat, D3DUSAGE_AUTOGENMIPMAP, D3DRTYPE_TEXTURE, D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8)) return false;
		if(!(mCaps.Caps2 & D3DCAPS2_CANAUTOGENMIPMAP)) return false;

if(mCaps.VertexShaderVersion < D3DVS_VERSION(2,0)) return false;
		if(mCaps.PixelShaderVersion < D3DPS_VERSION(2,0)) return false;
		if(mCaps.MaxAnisotropy < 4) return false;
		if(mCaps.MaxTextureWidth < 256) return false;
		if(mCaps.MaxTextureHeight < 256) return false;	
		return true;
	}
	else return false;
}

I can still see a lot of ways in which this can be made cleaner, but then it won't be your code. :-)

Still if it helps, this does look much better than before.

I would say that now your initial query is solved and what remains is how well you can utilise the solution.

Have fun!

Will work on it :)

To be honest I'm really in a flow with my engine, will be posting more.

Next is playing around with skyboxes using cubemap textures.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi, Could you maybe give me some direction? Been thinking about it, but there must be a way to prevent/clean the part where i loop through all types of 'caps'. Maybe seeking for unique values or something, in the first 'column'.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement