c# project

Started by
8 comments, last by phil67rpg 11 years, 3 months ago

I am studying Beginning Visual C# 2010 by Wrox publishing. I want to do a simple project to go along with the text. I am unsure of where to begin.

Advertisement
Do you have a compiler?
void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

yes I am using vs2012

Where are you stuck?

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I presume the book is presenting you with project ideas. Typically those would be based around similar capabilities as where the chapter left off. That would be the best place to start.

Otherwise, a good text based system might be working with various components of string, such as .SubString, .Trim, .IsNullOrEmpty, etc...

- Try using IndexOf and Substring to extract a word out of sentance. Try getting the first word, or the second or the last.

- Try capitalizing the first letter of each word in a sentance. If a word begins with "Mc" also capitalize the third letter.

If you have worked with if statements, try checking multiple conditions, ask the user for a name.

- if they don't give it, complain to them.

I would recommend being more explicit in what skills you want to apply. working with strings alone is only a small portion.

The best thing to do, is to consider the what you do know now, think of a potential challenge that may be related to your skills. Then try to figure out how to use your skills to solve the problem. If you come up with one way, try it. Then think of another possible solution to the same problem. Most challenges have multiple solutions, and learning them will give you good insight as to how to be flexible. Try to think about why one solution might be better than another, and if there would be conditions where the lesser option would become the better option.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

[quote name='phil67rpg' timestamp='1356924247' post='5015946']
a simple project to go along with the text
[/quote]

Hah, I misread that, as to go along with 'text' as in strings. However, the same general question of what skills or area are your trying to come up with a project idea still applies.

Moltar - "Do you even know how to use that?"

Space Ghost - “Moltar, I have a giant brain that is able to reduce any complex machine into a simple yes or no answer."

Dan - "Best Description of AI ever."

If I were to learn C# then I would first make a text output program. Then input my name. Then I would create a class called hero, and then I would write the program again but instead of storing my name in a variable I would store it in the class named hero. I would then add some numbers to the class like hp and damage. I would make an object with lower hp and damage next. Then I would program a way in for me to fight the other hero. All in text using console. Maybe then I would start using XNA.

I actually learned C# by uing SFML to make a simple game , although I had previous experienc in RUBY,Python , so I had some background.

Find a project that you want to do, need, find fun. Thats the way to keep you motivated, then learn by yourself when you are stuck, thats my best advice to you :)

Check out my new blog: Morphexe

Are you talking about a little game project to utilize your new skills? Someone recently posted this, which might be just what you're looking for. It's for C++, but most of it translates to C# (I don't think it's an actual tutorial, just a series of suggested projects).

Inspiration from my tea:

"Never wish life were easier. Wish that you were better" -Jim Rohn

soundcloud.com/herwrathmustbedragons

I have decided to do a little adventure game using c#. I am uncertain of how to begin in c#. I might use uml to start with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement