Game Making with or without Enging ?

Started by
1 comment, last by opiop65 11 years, 3 months ago

Hello to start off my name is Brandon i'm 18 and I want to become a Game Maker I guess you can say.

I thought of an Idea about a Game when I was about 13 and added new Ideas for it over the Years.

A couple of months ago I started to learn Lua and now I am starting to learn C++ and i'm planning

on to go to College to make this a Career cause I have been Gaming my whole life why not make it

a Career Lol.

Rite down to business ...

I thought about this alot and want to make it for PC + Xbox if possible.

Game Features

3D

FPS

Military/Zombies

Big World

Co-op

Interaction

Custom Terrain

I don't know if I can put everything I want in to my Game, I guess you can say DayZ and Far Cry 3

is the closest thing to my game but still not quite.

I have no clue on how to make my Game or where to start so that's why i'm Posting here to see

if someone could shed some light on where I should start so I can make my Dream come true.

Advertisement

Firstly, a game isn't all about programming, it also requires art (2D sprites, 3D models, animations, etc.), music (sound loops, sound effects, etc.), and design (gameplay, GUIs, etc.). So just because you can program, doesn't mean you can make a good game.

Making games doesn't happen overnight, even with an engine. Using a pre-built engine would be an easier option, but it may not be so easy to learn (since it's easier to understand your own code), and also you probably wont learn as much as you would from developing a game from ground up. In the end, it is up to you on what tools you wish to make. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use an engine, you could use an engine, then eventually move away from engine entirely and produce your own code (to learn a bit more of what is happening under the hood).

If you want to have an actual career in game development/programming, I suggest you start with small, simple games and then work your way up to what you want to do (baby steps). I also suggest that you do continue to learn C++, since it will more than likely help you get a job in the industry, as a programmer. Although, if you're going to Uni, you're more than likely going to learn it, but teaching yourself C++ in your own time will do no harm.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, that restricting yourself to one language isn't wise. Once you master C++ and you are comfortable with it (you've made various programs and applications), feel free to move on to other languages and learn about them, such as: Java, C#, Python, etc. This will generally make you a better programmer; learning other languages doesn't mean you'll forget a specific language (it's kinda like riding a bike, you just dont forget).

Also, with an engine or without one, programming knowledge is still required (and useful even if the engine doesn't expose programming entirely). If you really want to use C++ for games, learn it gradually until you feel comfortable enough to make games.

You could use this to guide you on what programming skills you require to make a game, on your own:

http://moosader.com/resources/tutorials/game-programming-prerequisite-test/1

If you're serious about this, then I wish you good luck, it's a rough process.

anax - An open source C++ entity system

Ok first off, I've been through the same process you're going through right now. I started earlier though, my first "language" was HTML and CSS. I decided that I loved programming, I thought it was very cool that I could type code into a file and run it, and it would do something. I moved on to C++ and then I moved onto game engines. I played around with Unity for a while, and discovered that I hated graphical game engines. I loved to code, and my biggest philosophy about coding is "almost always go the hard way" . Sometimes you don't have to go the hard way, but whatever :D So after a couple months of hating game engines, I started the language I'm currently working on; Java. Everyone says it is slow and a horrible language to code games in, but my experiences don't justify that. I never programmed games in C++, however. The last few months I've been working on graphics and game stuff in Java, and I'm loving it. I think you will learn more without game engines; however, it will be a long and tough road without them. In the end, it's worth it because you understand games more. I should also note I've been learning programming in general for around 3 or 4 years, and I finally felt comfortable enough in the last few months to start game programming. It's important that you know the basics of programming before you start on the more advanced stuff, obviously. Well, if you made it this far in my wall of text, I thank you :D And remember, game programming can be very fun when you're part of an indie team, it feels amazing to be apart of something! Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement