Would you let a digital copy of yourself be made?

Started by
19 comments, last by W0nD3rL1t3 11 years, 3 months ago

For those of you who haven't watched Caprica, some explanation/background: Suppose there was a way someone could be "digitally copied"---their memories, emotions, personality, behaviors, nuances, etc. Everything that wasn't physical (but even then, this digital copy would project its own avatar as an image of the original physical person) was "downloaded" to a computer and existed in a virtual world (or worlds), kind of like the Matrix. The only difference between the digital copy and the original was just that: the original is physical and the digital copy is "software" (and if you're spiritual, perhaps the physical has an associated spirit which the digital copy lacks, but spirituality isn't my focus here). Other than this difference, the digital copy is you.

Would you want this? You, the physical, original you? What if they could make you an artificial body that looked and felt human enough and loaded your digital copy into it? Would you want that? This opens up a bunch of possibilities and consequences, like holding onto a loved one after they pass, or blurring the line between what's real and what isn't.

Personally, I don't think I would like this. When I die, I want my family and friends to move on and not cling on to something to (what I would call) an unhealthy degree. It's not a ticket to immortality, either, because it's the digital copy that lives on after you, not the original you.

It's weird to think about. What do you think?

Background: I just started watching Battlestar Galactica this week. I finished the first season in less than 24 hours, then I started season 2 and Caprica. I just finished Caprica and plan on continuing Battlestar Galactica. Most productive winter break ever biggrin.png

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
I would do it and have my(real)self killd to gain immortality :3

o3o

If the digital copy is everything you are, then it is you, at least if it can be projected into a real body. But our society is built around the concept of death, if we were suddenly immortal, we'd need to do some serious changes on the way we think of "life". I don't think we can really imagine what being immortal would feel like - it's probably inconceivable for our generation and many to come.

Edit: we'd also have some very serious logistical issues pretty soon without population control laugh.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

For experimental reason perhaps. Though I disagree about it being me, that would be like saying a canister of hydrogen is the very same atoms as in the sun. The difference is localization.

It might be immortal, I won't be.

There was a short SF story, cannot remember the author offhand but the title was something like "Think Like A Dinosaur" that stuck with me.

In it, FTL transportation was possible, but it involved making a complete copy of yourself. To "balance" things out, however, the original you needed to be destroyed. So to you, it would be a matter of sitting in a chamber and effectively being terminated/comitting suicide. Your copy would only experience the transportation.

I suppose what stuck with me from the story, and applies to this topic, is the idea of identity, and the fact that everyone else in the universe (including your copy) would have a different view on that identity than you would.

Another series of books by Tony Ballantine (Recursion Trilogy) deals more directly with digital copies and how they immediately start to deviate after the point of beign copied, and how these copies might view each other. These books also contain some scary implications of such technology - there is a certain female character whose many copies are illegaly traded to be used as torture entertainment by others.

There was a short SF story, cannot remember the author offhand but the title was something like "Think Like A Dinosaur" that stuck with me.

In it, FTL transportation was possible, but it involved making a complete copy of yourself. To "balance" things out, however, the original you needed to be destroyed. So to you, it would be a matter of sitting in a chamber and effectively being terminated/comitting suicide. Your copy would only experience the transportation.

I suppose what stuck with me from the story, and applies to this topic, is the idea of identity, and the fact that everyone else in the universe (including your copy) would have a different view on that identity than you would.

That's an interesting idea for a story. Reminds me of some of the discussions on reincarnation we had in my World Religions class, and what (we/others think) identity really is.

I suppose if I had some kind of guarantee that when I died, my digital avatar(s) would also be deleted, I might be okay with it. I would have to have a really good reason for making a digital copy, too. If this were the case, I guess I would see my digital avatar as simply being an artificial copy. However, if it could outlive me, then I/others might identify with it more for some reason, which is what I don't want.

I'm trying to come up with a way of saying why I wouldn't want a digital copy of myself, but I'm having a hard time putting my thoughts into words and finding the cause of my feelings.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

The digital copy would have a few flaws:

1. At what point in time would the copy be made? Would it grow older, or could I be 70 years old looking at my 20 year old copy?

2. Given that our real-world experiences shape our personalities and behaviors, wouldn't we both travel different paths to become completely different people?

And then you'd have to wonder if you'd ever get jealous of your digital copy should they end up being more "successful" than yourself.

1. At what point in time would the copy be made? Would it grow older, or could I be 70 years old looking at my 20 year old copy?

I suppose the copy could be made whenever, but I'm currently envisioning a "current copy" (that is, if you make a copy now, the copy is "up-to-date," and there isn't a way to make a copy that represents you 20 years ago). But that's just how I'm envisioning it, there's no reason you can lead yourself on a thought experiment that's a bit different.

2. Given that our real-world experiences shape our personalities and behaviors, wouldn't we both travel different paths to become completely different people?

Yeah, pretty much. That kind of happens in Caprica. You could, of course, always "re-copy" yourself and update all your digital copies if you wanted to stay in sync. You could also have a "live-feedback" system where you and your digital copy are always connected, continuously sharing your... brains or whatever... so that the two of you are always up to date with each other (but of course you could still evolve differently).

If the digital copy is everything you are, then it is you

OK, say you're in a room with this copy of you, its a perfect copy of you.

And they say only one of you can leave (for obvious reasons) would you have no qualms about putting the gun to your head & pulling the trigger & be happy knowing that a copy of you would walk out of the room

It would still be a different entity. I am me because of the things I've done and been through. The very second after inception, my copy and i would begin leading separate lives. i mean given the same circumstances can i honesty say that i would make the same exact decisions? Perhaps today I'm favoring my left side and i take the path on the left... Tomorrow i may take the right given the exact same decision to make... It would no longer be me....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement