GameDev.net 2013! What do you want to see from the site?

Started by
74 comments, last by weymiensn 10 years, 9 months ago

Not sure if this has been suggested before:

A small tag or indicator by the poster's name if that posted is the one who started the thread - something like [op]

I think this was implemented on the mmorpg.com forums

The reason I suggest it is because I often don't look at the original poster's name, i suck at remembering names in general, and when browsing on page 2+ of a thread, I often wonder who original poster was. Yeah, having unique avatars, as many do, helps a lot, but not everyone's avatar is that memorable.

Advertisement

Yea this has been suggested previously. I can't recall if there was ever any outcome to the discussion or not ("yes we'll get around to it" or "no we won't add it") but I like the concept

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

has viewing post histories been removed?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

has viewing post histories been removed?

Only for members. When I checked the forum at uni a week ago, I wasn't logged in and could see post histories just fine, but the button goes away when you log in.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I wonder if they'll be GD.net approved video tutorials in the future.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I would like to see a rehaul of the "projects" feature under Community>Gallery. I feel this should be a prominent feature of the site and should be a separate tab on the navigation bar, or at least its own link under Community (rather than somewhere in Gallery). The layout of projects need to be updated as well. It seems projects are generally being used to upload pictures. For each project, there should be separate pages for images, videos, a written game design outline, concept art/sketches, where to download, and about (for information regarding the game's development and the team, etc).

Also, these projects should be featured on the main page the same way articles are. I think members would make more use of the "projects" feature if these changes took place.

I know this place is for suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I love the redesign of the front page. I actually read a few articles/dev journals when I only intended to kind of lurk on the forums for a few minutes. It's great to see that even though the site is good enough as it is, you guys keep trying to make it better. Thanks.

I know this place is for suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I love the redesign of the front page. I actually read a few articles/dev journals when I only intended to kind of lurk on the forums for a few minutes. It's great to see that even though the site is good enough as it is, you guys keep trying to make it better. Thanks.

I agree. Before this whole article push, I never even looked at the front page. I just immediately clicked "New Content" and skipped the front page. But now with all the articles being linked on the front page, I've actually looked at and read the front page and click on several articles to read.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

my only criticism of the front page is that it's beginning to feel a bit crowded. other than that, it's defiantly a mark improvement.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

my only criticism of the front page is that it's beginning to feel a bit crowded. other than that, it's defiantly a mark improvement.

I think the difference between this and the older site, is that at least it's not all crowded up at the very top. I mean, I was fine with all that but people also argued it was a bit overwhelming. Now you have a lot on the page but it's just articles up top... scroll down and there's some journals, scroll down and there's some tabbed content... nothing on the sidebars has changed so far. So at least it's a more gradual crowding? tongue.png

I'm actually glad the featured journals on are on the front page - the journal listing has an annoying bug that doesn't actually keep the featured entry linked at the top - if I feature an entry and the person posts a newer one, that's the link that ends up being featured at the top of the journal listing - like I'm featuring their whole journal instead. You can see it now - go to the journal listing and you'll see ApochPiQ's journal "Epoch Release 14 Shipped" at the top when on the front page you'll see I actually featured his previous entry "Epoch Plans for the Future"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement