• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Tanczos

GameDev.net 2013! What do you want to see from the site?

75 posts in this topic

You could have a great social network + forum here focusing on enabling people to connect and get stuff done. Wouldn't it be great to able to see who locally is interested in game development, what their skills and interests are, and be able to form a team?

Hah! See my post above, I think we might be chopping on the same tree here.

An update on the vote system.

Specifically, I'd like to see who down/up votes my post/topics so I can respond accordingly.

It'd help to know who agrees with you and who disagrees.

It may start more fights but I feel you shouldn't be protected by the website. If you wanna talk smack, you should be held accountable.

Basically, I just want there to be an option to vote anonymously or publicly.

SinisterPride, voting a post up or down is not about talking smack or taking sides. If your post is helpful, it should be rated up. If you post unhelpful, or off-topic BS, it should be rated down. It doesn't matter who disagrees. And we don't need any fights.

If you want to get rated up, post something of value. Leave a thread better off than it was when you entered into it, and your insight will be appreciated.

It probably helps not to post long winded rants in funny fonts with randomly bolded words and random symbols. You look like you have some nice ideas, but no one wants through chunks of poorly formatted text.

Specifically, I'd like to see who down/up votes my post/topics so I can respond accordingly.

Buy a gd-net subscription and you will be able to do this. From my perspective it isn't something that should be an openly available thing to everyone, simply put, investing money into this site by way of GD-net is expressing an interest in the value of the website and is less likely to occasion rancorous behaviours.

Edit: And more importantly your name is orange......(which is not red cornstalks! :P)

Edited by Stormynature

@Stormynature: I worry a GDNet+ wouldn't help my situation, despite its orange-ness tongue.png

Buy a gd-net subscription and you will be able to do this.

Wait, really?

Srsly.

Edited by Cornstalks

@Stormynature: I worry a GDNet+ wouldn't help my situation, despite its orange-ness tongue.png

Buy a gd-net subscription and you will be able to do this.

Wait, really?

Srsly.

Images allowed in signatures? I'll have to work on that...

I think it is time for an embedded development forum. Maybe attached to the mobile and console forum. With the way rasberry pi, arduino and othe home brew electronics are taking off it really opens up the opportunities for developers to test their prowess on devices similar in power to the original 8 bit gameboy.

Not sure if this has been suggested before:

A small tag or indicator by the poster's name if that posted is the one who started the thread - something like [op]

I think this was implemented on the mmorpg.com forums

The reason  I suggest it is because I often don't look at the original poster's name, i suck at remembering names in general, and when browsing on page 2+ of a thread, I often wonder who original poster was. Yeah, having unique avatars, as many do, helps a lot, but not everyone's avatar is that memorable.

Yea this has been suggested previously. I can't recall if there was ever any outcome to the discussion or not ("yes we'll get around to it" or "no we won't add it") but I like the concept

has viewing post histories been removed?

Only for members. When I checked the forum at uni a week ago, I wasn't logged in and could see post histories just fine, but the button goes away when you log in.

I would like to see a rehaul of the "projects" feature under Community>Gallery. I feel this should be a prominent feature of the site and should be a separate tab on the navigation bar, or at least its own link under Community (rather than somewhere in Gallery). The layout of projects need to be updated as well. It seems projects are generally being used to upload pictures. For each project, there should be separate pages for images, videos, a written game design outline, concept art/sketches, where to download, and about (for information regarding the game's development and the team, etc).

Also, these projects should be featured on the main page the same way articles are. I think members would make more use of the "projects" feature if these changes took place.

I know this place is for suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I love the redesign of the front page. I actually read a few articles/dev journals when I only intended to kind of lurk on the forums for a few minutes. It's great to see that even though the site is good enough as it is, you guys keep trying to make it better. Thanks.

I know this place is for suggestions, but I just wanted to say that I love the redesign of the front page. I actually read a few articles/dev journals when I only intended to kind of lurk on the forums for a few minutes. It's great to see that even though the site is good enough as it is, you guys keep trying to make it better. Thanks.

I agree. Before this whole article push, I never even looked at the front page. I just immediately clicked "New Content" and skipped the front page. But now with all the articles being linked on the front page, I've actually looked at and read the front page and click on several articles to read.

my only criticism of the front page is that it's beginning to feel a bit crowded. other than that, it's defiantly a mark improvement.

my only criticism of the front page is that it's beginning to feel a bit crowded. other than that, it's defiantly a mark improvement.

I think the difference between this and the older site, is that at least it's not all crowded up at the very top. I mean, I was fine with all that but people also argued it was a bit overwhelming. Now you have a lot on the page but it's just articles up top... scroll down and there's some journals, scroll down and there's some tabbed content... nothing on the sidebars has changed so far. So at least it's a more gradual crowding? tongue.png

I'm actually glad the featured journals on are on the front page - the journal listing has an annoying bug that doesn't actually keep the featured entry linked at the top - if I feature an entry and the person posts a newer one, that's the link that ends up being featured at the top of the journal listing - like I'm featuring their whole journal instead. You can see it now - go to the journal listing and you'll see ApochPiQ's journal "Epoch Release 14 Shipped" at the top when on the front page you'll see I actually featured his previous entry "Epoch Plans for the Future"

Edited by Gaiiden

I would like to see a rehaul of the "projects" feature under Community>Gallery. I feel this should be a prominent feature of the site and should be a separate tab on the navigation bar, or at least its own link under Community (rather than somewhere in Gallery). The layout of projects need to be updated as well. It seems projects are generally being used to upload pictures. For each project, there should be separate pages for images, videos, a written game design outline, concept art/sketches, where to download, and about (for information regarding the game's development and the team, etc).

Also, these projects should be featured on the main page the same way articles are. I think members would make more use of the "projects" feature if these changes took place.

Just on a personal note.. I have recently become EXTREMELY interested in seeing this happen.   I feel like a combination of new articles and seeing great projects could serve as a pretty good heart beat for the site.   To be honest, I think once you start mixing in all the creative Indie projects out there you start getting a sense of just how frickin creative people are.   We need a "Your Announcements" on steroids.. with all sorts of mixed in projects.   While I'm not sure the gallery is the best place to start with this, I think I can overhaul the old GDS quickly enough to make it work really quite well.

Audio forum. Sound and music are unique challenges that should have their own home in the forum, rather than being spread out through game/general/directx/etc.

Not sure if this has been suggested before:

A small tag or indicator by the poster's name if that posted is the one who started the thread - something like [op]

I think this was implemented on the mmorpg.com forums

The reason  I suggest it is because I often don't look at the original poster's name, i suck at remembering names in general, and when browsing on page 2+ of a thread, I often wonder who original poster was. Yeah, having unique avatars, as many do, helps a lot, but not everyone's avatar is that memorable.

Funny you mention that, I'll often post my thoughts for users facing issues I've dealt with in the past. Unless i see certain avatars in the thread that is, (hodgman, here's looking at you) and then i just shut up and listen smile.png

Edited by Burnt_Fyr

At the moment I can say there would be two features I would suggest that could be beneficial to the community/myself.

I hope I am forgiven, but this is a feature that I actually liked in the MSDN forums, one of the few things I like about that place. In those forums you when you are going to start a topic you can choose either between starting a discussion or ask a question. Depending the choice the icon in the forum list change giving a visual hint what the topic is, a question or discussion.

For example: If I want to ask in the General Programming forum what encapsulation means I can tag it as a question an icon (question mark perhaps) appears next to the title. However, when I want to discuss the merit or folly of making a 16-bit retro games in the Game Design forums the icon of two speech bubbles appears next to the topic. This will give forum users a clear indication of the purpose of the topic, asking a question or starting a discussion.

Building upon this and once again stealing a feature of forums such as MSDN, but also StackOverflow is the ability to inform other users that a certain reply on my topic was the answer to my problem. This reply will be distinguished by a clear green border perhaps. Other users should be able to suggest a reply as being the answer. This will help others who delve in the same issue to find answers much quicker. This feature should only be available, if the first option is a go, for questions.

I find it a pity that the book segment has been seemingly neglected. I, personally, find it a dreadful undertaking to find and buy good reference material in my pursuit to learn C++ and game programming at the moment. Perhaps it might be interesting and a nice source of income to expand the book segment and become a reseller of books aimed towards programming and game development. Another way is to perhaps look into the option of community written book reviews.

Oh and perhaps mobile version. The site is fine as it is on tablets, but on my smartphone it is rather annoying and I do like to visit fora on the road using my phone. Of course, this could also be done with an app (Android!!!).

Edited by weymiensn

At the moment I can say there would be two features I would suggest that could be beneficial to the community/myself.

I hope I am forgiven, but this is a feature that I actually liked in the MSDN forums, one of the few things I like about that place. In those forums you when you are going to start a topic you can choose either between starting a discussion or ask a question. Depending the choice the icon in the forum list change giving a visual hint what the topic is, a question or discussion.

For example: If I want to ask in the General Programming forum what encapsulation means I can tag it as a question an icon (question mark perhaps) appears next to the title. However, when I want to discuss the merit or folly of making a 16-bit retro games in the Game Design forums the icon of two speech bubbles appears next to the topic. This will give forum users a clear indication of the purpose of the topic, asking a question or starting a discussion.

Building upon this and once again stealing a feature of forums such as MSDN, but also StackOverflow is the ability to inform other users that a certain reply on my topic was the answer to my problem. This reply will be distinguished by a clear green border perhaps. Other users should be able to suggest a reply as being the answer. This will help others who delve in the same issue to find answers much quicker. This feature should only be available, if the first option is a go, for questions.

I find it a pity that the book segment has been seemingly neglected. I, personally, find it a dreadful undertaking to find and buy good reference material in my pursuit to learn C++ and game programming at the moment. Perhaps it might be interesting and a nice source of income to expand the book segment and become a reseller of books aimed towards programming and game development. Another way is to perhaps look into the option of community written book reviews.

Oh and perhaps mobile version. The site is fine as it is on tablets, but on my smartphone it is rather annoying and I do like to visit fora on the road using my phone. Of course, this could also be done with an app (Android!!!).

When you go on your phone what things would you liked to see improved on the mobile side?   I'm using a galaxy s4 and don't have any problems as of a small tweak I made last night that tells mobile browsers it's okay to render in a native mobile resolution rather than scaling down an 800 pixel wide browser version of the site.