Starting Point

Started by
4 comments, last by minibutmany 11 years, 3 months ago

Hey guys, I have no programming experience what so ever and I've always wanted to make game so I thought were else to start but at a game development forum. The game doesn't have to be fancy just start at something basic and eventually build my way to up to anything like Mario or a 2d sidescroller or rpg. Where should I start, which language should I learn? And what else do I need to know? Thanks a ton.

Advertisement

First thing: pick up some programming books. You can download some pdf ones from the internet. I would suggest starting either in c++ or java. Go with java, since its the most common language; and it can be used to make console, GUI, and web based programs, including games!

Start out simple and get a feel for programming, then increase the level of difficulty. After you learn the language on a moderate level, pick up a book on game development and fundamentals. That will give you a good idea on how to design a game. Planning is the most important part of development, REMEMBER THAT!

If you have any questions or need help getting started with programming, message me on here, or add me on skype: daniel.lamonds

add me on skype, i need some new associates for coding.

c++, Visual basic, fortran, html/5, css, php,java script, sql, others......

Python would be a great language to start with.

Before you can make any games you need to know a language, and then how to develop them.

The first port of call is to spend some quality time(about a month or two) learning the basics of your first language. I usually recommend either C or Java, but in this case I would agree that Python would be an ideal choice for a beginner.

Development of a program requires experience and skill, so consider a small text-based game as your first project. This is what I did back in 2000 and surprised myself at making a rather epic RPG! I do wish I had spent time afterwards learning WinAPI before galloping off into DirectX and remake it with a GUI with graphics and audio. Sigh, making that side scrolling shoot-um-up with a 3D background was too hard to resist...o_O

Don't rush things, nor expect too much of yourself and you will get there.

Godspeed, squire! ^_^

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

First thing: pick up some programming books. You can download some pdf ones from the internet. I would suggest starting either in c++ or java. Go with java, since its the most common language; and it can be used to make console, GUI, and web based programs, including games!

Start out simple and get a feel for programming, then increase the level of difficulty. After you learn the language on a moderate level, pick up a book on game development and fundamentals. That will give you a good idea on how to design a game. Planning is the most important part of development, REMEMBER THAT!

If you have any questions or need help getting started with programming, message me on here, or add me on skype: daniel.lamonds

Thank you so much for offering your help. I will try and pick up, java and get book for it as well. I really appreciate it.

After you get a handle on Java basics, pick up a copy of Killer Game Programming in Java, by Andrew Davison. It starts out slow with a slide scroller, then isometric, then 3D, finally networking and a few other advanced topics.

Oh, don't be fooled by the title there are no violent implications, but success is not guaranteed either!

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement